DjangoBooks.com

Slowing Down Clips from the New Stochelo DVD

BonesBones Moderator
edited October 2012 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 3,319
Since the thread got hijacked before and my question never got addressed I thought I would re-post it in this forum.

Can someone chime in on how to slow down the solos? I love his playing but picking it up at the speed that he plays is beyond my novice ear. I'm sure it must be possible to grab clips with some software and slow it down but I'm not computer savy.

Thanks

Comments

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    What kind of system are you using? Because how you do it would depend greatly on that answer. For myself, I'm using a laptop loaded with Linux Ubuntu. Basically, I use a program called DVD-RIP and it allows me to mark the section I want to extract it. I convert it to an mp4 format, and then I can use VLC Media player to slow it down.

I'm on a different laptop tonight, but I'll be doing some more extracting from that DVD tomorrow, and I'll write down the steps I use. It's a pain to do because, I just don't have it quite down as a process yet, but I'm getting better at it. You can then use that vid, convert it to mp3 audio, and use another program to slow down the audio, too.

Meant to give you that on the other thread, so glad you posted again. If anyone else has a better way, I'd be interested in knowing about it too. Meantime, gotta go, but I'll post again about the process I use.

Cheers!
  • Bones

A suggestion that may seem a bit counterintuitive but works very well for me. Listen to the phrase you want to learn over and over until you can sing hum whistle or whatever you do best.

Once you have the notes in your head watch the DVD to get an idea of where the notes are being played.

Figure out how you should play the notes in the easiest way you can. My fingers and hands are very different from Stochelo's and what may work very well for him could well be impossible for me to play in the same manner. As SR keeps emphasizing, you need to make your own style and if you listen and work it you WILL learn it and the more you do it the easier it gets. In this process you will by the nature of your work develop your own style.

Anyway that's my $.02 FWIW. Hope it helps...if not best of luck with your endeavours :wink:

The hardest thing for a novice to high intermediate player do learn is to think the music at speed. I was very fortunate to start playing music at age 6 (ack almost 55 years ago) and that is one of the few musical truisms that I know of.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hi there are a number of ways of doing it

I use a PC so I can't help mac users

if you watch it on a computer , many decent dvd players have a slow down feature.. that can slow the video down up to 50% and play the audio at the correct pitch.... Interwin dvd player (the software that seems to be included in most PCs) for example does that

Or what I prefer to do is to use a sound editing software .. I use wavelab (which is expensive, but i'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there... people seem to recommend a software called "transcribe") ... In your PC sound settings, you need to set the RECORD mode to Stereo-mix (whic basically records anything that is being played on your computer)... you record the part you want... and boom with the sound editing software, you can loop it, slow it down, change the pitch, etc....

I especially use that for the looping feature.... once i got the notes down, i just verify with the video to make sure the fingering is right
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Dennis,

Yes I have a PC. Where is the setting for the RECORD that you mentioned?

I tried just slowing it down on the Windows Media Player but the sound cuts out if I do that. Is there some way I can get the sound to not cut out?

Jazzaferri,

Yes I do have a problem with thinking the notes at speed (even licks I know). I imagine that you get over that hurdle with lots of hours of practice.

Thanks
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Jazzdawg,

I'm on a PC with windows XP 2002.

Can I run DVDRIP on that?

Thanks
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Bones,

Sorry, but DVDRip is specific to Linux. One thing I should mention is that when I do slow it down with VLC there is no audio either. I slow it, or pause it, just to check the fingerings, not really to listen to it. I can slow it down with a few other Linux sound applications, though, so it's not that big a problem. Mainly, I'm using the extracted vids to make it easier to watch only the ones I'm working on.

Ran out of disk space this weekend, so I couldn't do much of anything along those lines. Not a total loss though, just watched the DVD and picked up another phrase.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    You can slow it down (audio and video) on Quick time if it's already converted to mp4.
    I believe WMP also has that feature.

You can also use Transcribe if you have it.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    on most sound cards, you should be able to set your PC record mode to "Stereo mix" ... if you dont have that option, you are VERY unlucky!!

if you dont know how to do that, googlesearch it or ask a friend that has a bit of experience with computers... it's really quite easy to do

once that's taken care of, you need an audio editing software.. lots of people recommend "TRANSCRIBE",,, i've never used it myself since I already have WAVELAB
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    hi all,

if you just want to record sound from a dvd and then slow it down, Audacity could do it all. I use it to record youtube audio this way too...download audacity (just google it), when you want to record something that's playing on your computer just select Wave Out Mix from the dropdown menu on the top right (this is the same idea that Dennis was talking about). Stop when the phrase is over and you'll have it saved. Then slow it down like any other file. Essentially the same as transcribe but free.

best,
    Jack.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Cool, great suggestions guys.

I'll hack my way around, as usual.

Thanks!