DjangoBooks.com

Slowing Down Clips from the New Stochelo DVD

Comments

• Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    You're both right! He adds that "A" in the slow version but not in the normal-speed version. You'll find that there are often discrepancies (especially in the picking) when he demonstrates something at slow speed.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    ah sorry i can't verifiy, as i dont havce the dvds myself!! i must have thrown away my prerelease cxopies....

but if you read the little disclaimer in the transcription menu section, i mentionned that stochelo rarely plays the same thing twice or something to that effect so sometimes i have to come up with something that's logical without compromising his interpretation... i especially hard time with chords, because in a lot of gypsy jazz compostions, the chords don't always line up with the melody... so i had to make a decision.. do i put the chords that everyone plays or do i put the "right" chords.... in the end i decided to go with the former.. wrong as it may be it's truer to the style .... i figure if anyone notices the "mistakes" or if it will bother anyone, they will be able to correct them as they see fit...
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    ok, i didn't expect any guarantees. the dvd's are great. :)
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    I am absolutely Incredulous at the amount of posts concerning this topic, and God forbid, suggestions of transcriptions!
    Train You ears Man!
    You don't want to be considered a
    "Hobbiest" Do You?

P.S. I have this one and Adler's for sale.
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    except for people who do play as a hobby :)
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    Are they allowed here anymore?
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • Ahhhhh ..... the big decision .... slow down reality or speed up the brain ....... :lol:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I'm a Mac user who uses iMic, GarageBand and iTunes in order to isolate passages of
    Django recordings so that they'll loop over and over while I try to "hear" and copy them.

(Note that I'm only talking about audio recordings, not DVD.)

(The iMic http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/ is a little gadget you can buy for $40 that will let you record stuff onto your computer... apparently works with Mac and PC...)

I've learned the process for doing this over several months of trial and error, but I've now gotten to the point where it works easily for me. :)

I'm willing to share it with other Mac users; if there are any here who want to use it. In fact, I'm hoping that others will do exactly that because it would be great to share such files with each other in order to share the drudge-work of creating these loops. :wink:

So far I've been able to "hear" almost all the stuff I'm trying to learn to play, so "slowing down" isn't really an issue... but I'm considering adding QuickTime to the process because, as a previous poster pointed out, it does allow you to slow stuff down quite easily.

QuickTime also costs $35-40, and I don't have the bread right now... :cry:

So that's the main thing holding me back right now, other than a narcissistic reluctance to put myself into the "hobbyist" category... which is, I must honestly admit, the category that I really belong in! :roll:
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Wow, cool!

In preparing some of my little loops to share here, I found that when I took them out of iTunes, they automatically changed to QuickTime files, so I don't need to buy QuickTime after all!

Anyway, let's see if I can figure out how to send these as attachments.

Hmmm...I'm finding I can only put one attachment on my message at a time...

Well, here's the first one... it comes at bars 31 and 32 of a chorus of "Rose Room"... instead of playing an F arpeggio over the tonic F chord, Django plays a riff based upon an F diminished arpeggio.

I've found several examples of this in Django's playing, I guess it was his way of telling the other musicians that he was going to continue playing another chorus?

Anyway, in addition to being exciting and unexpected and totally Django-istic, I think you'll find this lick pretty easy to play at frets 9 - 13...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Damn, the attachment wouldn't work... instead, I got the following error message:

"The page “Djangobooks.com • Post a reply” has content of MIME type “video/x-ms-wmv”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed."

This is all gobbledygook to me... is there anyone technically savvy enough out there to tell me exactly what I need to do?