DjangoBooks.com

Fapy unleashed

Heavy DjangoHeavy Django ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Welcome Posts: 46
Here's a youtube clip courtesy of patrus53 (thank you!) from Samois 2010 where the great Fapy Lafertin speaks candidly about Django and gypsy jazz guitarists today. Fascinating comments
indeed that precede an absolutely beautiful solo guitar version of Django's Castle (Manoir de Reves).

Any follow up thoughts from others on Fapy's remarks and/or playing? I, for one, completely agree with his comments and his playing speaks for itself...100% pure music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUNbD0noceQ

Comments

• Heavy DjangoHeavy Django ✭✭✭
    Here's the clip:

• kyle91kyle91 Portland, OregonNew
    I've heard a lot of people criticize those fast players throughout my short time learning about GJ.
    I assume they are talking about players like Stochelo and Bireli etc... But those are great players ,and they are not only fast. Playing fast is only one of their weapons.

So who are those fast players that people criticize for being too fast and not very lyrical?

By the way, that is a 5 star solo by Fapy. amazing.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Joscho comes to mind-a bit too flash for me at times-*'Like running through an art gallery'
    Incredible player , just a little to perfect for my taste.

*(One of the few things I have said drunkingly that I have been proud of)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Jimmy Rosenberg would be an uberfast / not overly musical player for me. I know it's all a matter of personal taste but if I want to put on a GJ album, Jimmy is waaaay down the list.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Never has a truer word been spoken by Fapy.
    Fapy is one of the most melodic players on the scene...his understudy Lollo comes a close 2nd.
    There's a reason that whenever I need dental treatment and I'm flicking thru my Mp3 player that I invariably put Fapy on...as his beautiful melodies relax me and transport me away.
    I don't think Fapy's referring to Bireli or Jimmy, but rather more to the likes of us wannabe GJ jammers, who head off to a jam and every tune is played at blazing speed, without a thought for melodic feeling. Speed is fine for the top players who have the ability & technique to control it within the confines of the tune, but speed is just one of many tools from the GJ arsenal that needs to be deployed with precision and taste.
    cheers to Fapy!
    Phil
    norrie
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Anyone know anything about the guitar Fapy is playing in the video above. Sounds great.

Craig
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    edited July 2010 Posts: 551
    You have to realize that none of the younger guys in Europe went through as intense an Eddie Van Halen, Frank Gambale, Yngwie, etc., heavy-metal-modal phase as us, so they get hot when they listen to Jimmy. I feel a bit embarrassed for Stochelo when he does it too with that silly riff he always pulls out that to me anyone who's heard 'White Room' (pretty much) is too familiar with, and which he copped straight from Django anyway.

There's no doubt Django was incredibly creative with an amazing range of ideas, but Fapy plays early Django every bit as good, no, better, like Django with a full left hand. Now throw in Tchavolo as good or better than, Angelo Debarre the same, both in their own styles, and you begin to see what we're looking at. This is hard for me to admit since they are both my favorites and irreplaceable, but Fapy simply eclipses them and it is all right there on Star Eyes.

The greatest GJ album ever made and I got it for $5 on Amazon, yikes...
  • kyle91kyle91 Portland, OregonNew
    Phil wrote:
    I don't think Fapy's referring to Bireli or Jimmy, but rather more to the likes of us wannabe GJ jammers, who head off to a jam and every tune is played at blazing speed, without a thought for melodic feeling.

Yeah, you're probably right. At least it's nice to hear that Fapy is glad people all around the world are playing this music.
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Elliot wrote:
    The greatest GJ album ever made and I got it for $5 on Amazon, yikes...
    Elliot, which album are you talking about? I'm curious. Thanks!
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    edited July 2010 Posts: 551
    Why, Star Eyes.

The only CDs I can even think of near it is the beautiful Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs by Marty Robbins (which is not even the same genre) or maybe Night Train by Oscar Peterson for that kind of jewel-like perfection. The thing I like about it is its stripped down production, just you sitting in front of the band. Fapy worked to get this right as well as the music, from what I've heard. It all just works together like it should, and Fapy's guitar bleats happily...one of my big rants.