DjangoBooks.com

Fapy unleashed

15678911»

Comments

• JMPJMP Berkeley, CA✭✭
    Scot: Would you be able to recommend any currently available recordings that represent Didi Duprat's playing, especially the qualities you mention in your post? A quick search of Django Station didn't turn up much of anything, but there is that cool vid that was posted here of Duprat with Colin and Privat doing a great version of Mysterieuse. And many thanks for all of the great information you share with this group.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Well i'm not Scot but my fave recordings of Duprat are the Paris Musette series of CDs that came out in the 90's--some great playing on those;i'm pretty sure he's also the guitarist on Yves Montands classic 60's "Bicyclette" LP which if you haven't heard is a real treat--he even takes a couple of very nice Djangoesque solos
    On the issue of Hendrix i admit to having a blind spot about him probably because personally i've never been a big fan of the Blues(and Djangos blues are the most non american sounding blues you'll ever hear)---there is just about no blues content in Fripps playing which is probably why it appeals to me more---i still think Fripp in his own way was as innovative as Jimi-- and lets not forget Jeff Beck either.
    Thrip
    A splendid idea Stu! Do you remember seeing this half hour doc on him from the mid 80's? You can hear him and Andy Summers playing "Nuages" at about the minute mark:]

Yes Tim i do remember watching it--in those days it was such a rare treat to see such a left field musician on tv wasn't it?-- but i seem to remember that it was shown at a weird time like 5pm on BBC2?
    Remember him doing the frippotronics in the church in Wimborne.Discovered recently that Fripp is the man behind all the Windows Vista start up music--nicely paid gig i bet!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Just to keep up with my mystic trip, I'd say Hendrix, Beck and Fripp may well be the Holy Trinity of rock guitar where Fripp, I'm pretty sure, would choose to play the Holy Spirit... with his back turned towards the front of the stage.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    JMP - thanks. I'm with Stu regarding Paris Musette. The first two volumes are especially good, great tunes and playing. These disc are not hard to find and include excellent liner notes. It's hard to tell with any of Montand's CDs. Didi Duprat was Montand's guitarist after Henri Crolla left his band, that's true. But you'd really have to be an expert on Montand to know which recording had which guitarist. Crolla did not record with Montand after 1959 for what that's worth.

I tried to attach an mp3 of Didi and an unknown violinist playing "Cousin Django" (excellent playing!) but it would not upload. Any help for this?
    Yes Scot i agree its difficult to be 100% sure re: Montand's guitarists but the Bicyclette LP does come from the 1964-65 period so its definitely not Crolla;i used to think it maybe Pierre Cavalli but think i read on the net(don't remember where)that it is Duprat on that particular Montand recording--whoever it is has that great gallic feel in his playing particularly on Jazz et le Java.
  • JMPJMP Berkeley, CA✭✭
    Stu: brilliant, thanks. I've found a source for the Paris Musette CDs and have ordered them. And thanks also for your great work on the DjangoSolos site.

Scot: I would love to hear that mp3. Unfortunately, I'm not real conversant with how that works on this forum. Maybe you need to be the topic starter? You may just want to contact Michael. Here's the forum FAQ response that seems most pertinent:

"Why can’t I add attachments?
    Attachment permissions are granted on a per forum, per group, or per user basis. The board administrator may not have allowed attachments to be added for the specific forum you are posting in, or perhaps only certain groups can post attachments. Contact the board administrator if you are unsure about why you are unable to add attachments."

Thanks again.
    frater wrote:
    Just to keep up with my mystic trip, I'd say Hendrix, Beck and Fripp may well be the Holy Trinity of rock guitar where Fripp, I'm pretty sure, would choose to play the Holy Spirit... with his back turned towards the front of the stage.

Well whatever he was playing Fripp would definitely be sitting down for sure:=)