DjangoBooks.com

Mounting Audio Technica Mics

gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
Thought I'd share this after reading the other thread. Here's a homemade method for mounting the Pro-70 or AT831b mic that works real well.

John Jorgenson buries his mic into a foam cube on the top of his guitar which is attached with velcro. I didn't want to use velcro on the top of my guitar so I made a foam cube with a slit on the top and attached some velcro strips so I could attach it to the strings near the tailpiece behind the bridge. I bury the mic in the foam and just run the wire under the tailpiece. Looks clean and works like a charm!

Benefits:
-It doesn't pick up certain frequencies off the soundhole that howl or feedback easily.
-Does not pick up the "clack" of picking noise.
-Being buried in foam away from the soundhole NOW you can play your guitar in a LOUD, NOISY environment with NO feedback! Noisy bar gigs, no problem now! (provided your amp isn't in front of you or facing the mic of course)

Here's a couple pictures of my cheap little setup. I use this on all my gigs with John as well as all my other gigs in small noisy environments like the noisy crowded wine bar I'll be playing at tonight!
www.dougmartinguitar.com
Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Ooooh! Thanks for posting this, gitpicker. I've gotta try this immediately. I've been doing the thing where the microphone is inside the soundhole with a little wire, with poor results. This looks very promising!

Adrian
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for posting this!

-Quick question.

Is the foam cut out in front of the tip of the microphone so the mic picks up the surface of the guitar without foam in the way? Or, is the mic just imbedded in the cube and picks up the guitar through a layer of foam?

Thanks,
    Jason
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Hey guys glad you like the idea. It works real well. The mic is imbedded in the foam itself pointed right towards the top of the guitar. The foam cube basically makes contact with the top and the mic is imbedded into the foam about halfway. It picks up the sound of the guitar no problem and it's MUCH more feedback resistant which is the main reason I like doing it. Here's another pic which maybe you can see it better.

Good luck!
    Doug
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • DjoeDjoe New
    That looks like an elegant solution... simple and effective! How are the velcro and foam attached to each other?
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints!
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I've been testing with this type of mounting and I've noticed that the foam alters the sound depending on the type of foam (soft, hard) and how close the microphone is from the top. For me the best sounding solution was to use very soft foam and placing the microphone as far from the top as possible (maybe 10mm). I noticed if the microphone is very close to the top the sound is very bass heavy. Any similar experiences?

Still I think the sound is better if the microphone is placed inside the guitar but maybe it's more prone to feedback but that's just my opinion.

Nice pictures btw!
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Good observation. In general, EVERYTHING effects your sound, period. No matter, what pick you use, YOUR touch, strings, in this case the foam, etc..whatever. You can experiment with different materials, mic placement, etc., to fine tune this setup. Personally I use a very light foam that's not very dense at all and yes a bit of distance from the top is good. What's optimum for one guitar might vary slightly for another. In general it seems to be a very user friendly and easy solution.

Djoe: The velcro strips are just inserted into a slit I cut into the side of the cube. You can glue the velcro in or as in my case the velcro strips have adhesive on the surface so they stay in. If you need more closeup pictures let me know.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Doug, is the bottom of the foam cube real tight against the guitar soundboard? How do you keep it from flopping around if it's not permanently affixed to the soundboard?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hey Doug...that's a really cool way to mount the AT mics. I actually mount them in pretty much the same fashion using the unimount:

Audio-Technica AT8418 Unimount Microphone Instrument Mount

Audio-Technica
    AT8418 Unimount Microphone Instrument Mount

I also noticed less feedback, pick noise, and no proximity effect when mounting the mic in lower treble bout area.
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Hi Michael,
    I purchased the unimount from you but I don't quite get how you are adhering the spring clip to the lower treble bout?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    you clip it to the strings behind the bridge and then position the goose neck in the lower bout area.