DjangoBooks.com

Samois 2011

crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
edited May 2011 in Europe Posts: 922
Some artists have been announced for Samois and details for ticket bookings can be found here

http://www.festivaldjangoreinhardt.com/ ... article672

Alan
always learning

Comments

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    |Français|English| News
    Booking ticket office is open ! News March 2011 32nd Django Reinhardt Festival ! The site from above ... WAITING FOR THE PROGRAM, 2011 BACK ON THE 2010 EDITION! PACO DE LUCIA Samois AT THE 31th EDITION! Recollection, remembrance Django Liberchies 2010 Booking ticket office is open !
    In schedule, artists from all over the world, ‘living legends’ or talented youngs, shure as hell, virtuosity and the only atmosphere of Samois will be there ! Already advertised... Goran Bregovic, Avishai Cohen, Christian Escoudé, Raphaël Gualazzi, Steeve Laffont, China Moses, Sanseverino, Alex Tassel...

In schedule, artists from all over the world,
    ‘living legends’ or talented youngs, shure as hell,
    virtuosity and the only atmosphere of Samois will be there !
    Already advertised... Goran Bregovic, Avishai Cohen, Christian Escoudé,
    Raphaël Gualazzi, Steeve Laffont, China Moses, Sanseverino, Alex Tassel...

Tickets and 5 days pass are available online.
    erm..not too excited yet... :?
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    "not too excited".........me neither.
    always learning
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    To be honest it was always going to be hard to top last year for me. But heres who I my dream list for this year anyhoo..

A fit and healthy Jimmy Rosenberg with Robin Nolan.
    Regina Carter.
    The Quebe sisters.
    Rodolph Raffelli.
    Moreno.
    That and a greater range of wine and i'd be a happy man
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • MusetteMusette New
    Hi all,
    This year will be the first time I go to the festival, but I literally know nothing about its organisation.
    Where can I camp? I've read there's two main camping sites: Samoreau and Le Petit Barbeau.
    So, what are the advantages of each camping site?
    I want to know if it is necessary to make reservations, and who can I contact to make 'em.
    How much does it cost to camp?
    Do they rent tents there or should I bring my own tent?

I'll be going on a very low budget, since after the festival I'm backpacking all around Europe and need to save as much money as possible.
    Another question:
    How "abnormal" or "noob" :oops: would it be if I bring a classical (cheapish) guitar to the jams?
    I just don't feel very confident by bringing my Dupont Nomade, not because of the festival, but because it would be a hindrance, to carry it from train to train, city to city, hostel to hostel all around Europe and I would be very busy taking care of it not to be broken or stolen.

THANKS.

-David-
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Musette, check hotclub.co.uk forum, all the info you need for first time is there, no need to repeat here. Regarding classical guitar, bring it, stay in petite barbeau not samoreau (gypsy central), i personally know a classical guitarist a singer songwriter a drummer a bassist and a bazouki player who will be there this year, you will kick yourself if you have no instrument at all.

Bring swimming shorts for the Seine, its warm in there.

Re: Tents, again your on the wrong forum, don't schlep a tent around europe, one week before the festival head to the nearest Lidl or Aldi chain store and pick up a tent pack the size of a football cheap, camping is around 30 euro for weekend, dont worry about camping gear or food, all you need available and cheap there
  • spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    Hi all,

I must admit I am disappointed with current lineup of the festival.

I mean, shouldnt this be a gypsy swing festival???

Goran Bregovic, Truffaz, Tassel, Cohen????

4 of my friends and i planned to make a trip all around europe to be in that place in that time, but after we saw a lineup we are really reconsidering.

What do you think, will there be any gypsy swing this year?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I know it's not a great looking lineup but I'm going anyway and here's why. I've been for the past three years - this year will be my fourth. For the past three I've bought tickets to get on to the island each day and out of the past three years I've watched a total of .......wait for it....two acts on stage.I dont imagine this year will be any different. It's bizarre, any other gig I go to I'd sit in my seat and watch the act on stage but in Samois I am happier wandering round the island behind the stage and listening to the guys - and girls - jamming in the food court, on the banks of the river or by the t-tent. For me that and the jams in the campsites, the town square - anywhere - are what makes Samois. And the chance to hear Bireli, Angelo, Tchavolo etc. jamming on sites, in cafes etc,
    that's what does it for me and not so much the guys on stage.

The first year I went I was so disappointed by the lineup, the second was ok, last year was better but if I'm honest it's all the other stuff that happens and the chance to meet up with friends is what makes Samois work for me.
    always learning
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    listening to the guys - and girls - jamming in the food court, on the banks of the river or by the t-tent. For me that and the jams in the campsites, the town square - anywhere - are what makes Samois. And the chance to hear Bireli, Angelo, Tchavolo etc. jamming on sites, in cafes etc,
    that's what does it for me and not so much the guys on stage.

^^This
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    This sounds SO much like my experience from twenty years of bluegrass festivals (before getting the Django bug). A good many of the folks don't come for the stage performances, they are there for the campground jams. Sounds like Samois is pretty similar.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Yep, sounds much the same as your bluegrass festivals. Also there are loads of people who go to the Samoreau campsite and just hang out there as there are loads of big name jams at that site, chances are you'll see some of the people jam at Samoreau that you'd pay money to see on the island - e.g. last year Fapy, Lollo and Stochelo jamming in Samoreau ( check out Youtube )

Highlight for me last year was watching Fapy and Lollo on stage - one of the few acts I've ever sat down and watched, jamming with friends David, Tom and many others I'd never met before - including a Dutch vocal harmony group and jamming on the isalnd with two French guys for a couple of hours.

And - of course - the beautiful surroundings of Samois. I cant wait - thank heavens it's only three months or so. Better get practising......
    always learning