DjangoBooks.com

Jean Barault Selmer 503 tribute to Django and Stephane

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited November 2013 in Welcome Posts: 2,159
Jean Barault graciously lent me his official 503 selmer replica to record this little tribute... it is the best gypsy jazz guitar i've ever played... the neck is big, the string gauge is heavy, yet it feels like absolute butter!! and the sound is absolutely incredible... i'm usually not a gear freak but this guitar blew me away!!! i wish i could afford it though...

anyway here it is, with mister Timmy K on fidaddle

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    OMG, Denis, that's fabulous! The guitar sounds wonderful, but the real fun of this video is the recreation by you and Tim of the classic Django/Stephane recording. Thanks! I'm going to be sending this to all my gadjo friends.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Nice work Denis!
    I think you've permanently linked Cookie Monster and Gypsy Jazz! :lol:
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Beautiful! I'm usually not a big fan of note-for-note recreations but this one's beaut indeed. It had me toe-tappin' and head-bobbin' for sure! Nice tribute brothers.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Beautiful! I'm usually not a big fan of note-for-note recreations but this one's beaut indeed. It had me toe-tappin' and head-bobbin' for sure! Nice tribute brothers.
    Agreed, Eddy. This one is done with such good taste and genuine reverence that it stands out from the pack.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Is Barault starting an official "503" line like Dupont does with the "Vieille Reserve"? The guitar sounds great although not perfectly "selmer" to my ears... it will probably get there with ageing!
    frater wrote:
    Is Barault starting an official "503" line like Dupont does with the "Vieille Reserve"? The guitar sounds great although not perfectly "selmer" to my ears... it will probably get there with ageing!
    Yeah, some Selmers got as much as a 75 year head start. Years of gypsy abuse would probably help.

Or get Tchavolo Schmitt or Stephane Wrembel to play it for five minutes!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hey klaatu, remember the bob holo thread where i mentioned the french forum was super brutal ? haha

well some folks are going at it on my video hahaha

one of these days, i'll make a list of the difference between the french forums and the english ones.. one person is not happy that my chromatic passage was not perfect (django's wasn't e/ither) and another complained that our rendition is too perfect thus no soul hahahaha

there's a HUUUUUGE difference in mentality and culture...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hahaha klaatu one guy is genuinely really RAELLY pissed off at me because i played it slightly differently from my transcription (that i give away for free)

if you dudes think the people at djangobooks are mean, you haven't seen shit!
    dennis wrote:
    hahaha klaatu one guy is genuinely really RAELLY pissed off at me because i played it slightly differently from my transcription (that i give away for free)
    Obviously some French people have WAY too much time on their hands!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    You are an inspiration, Dennis. Thank you for sharing so much of your excellent work.