DjangoBooks.com

What's the make of Gonzalo's guitar?

I've been wondering and couldn't dig anything out.
Heard him live few times last week and realized how distinctive sound he gets.
Let me know if you know.
Thanks

PS And by the way him and Adrien M. gotta be the top GJ duo in the world right now!?
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    An Olivier Marin, I believe.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Can't say I was even aware of that name/maker.
    Now I do and thanks a lot.
    I like how he gets that "slappy" yet snappy sound particularly on G and D strings.
    Buco
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I think alot of that sound is Gonzalo's attack, though. I think I could buy every Olivier Marin guitar on the planet and still not get that sound. One thing I like about this music is a players fundamental sound seems to transfer from guitar to guitar without too much change. The guitars, especially the vintage ones, do add some character elements, but in my experience, Gonzalo sounds like Gonzalo no matter what he plays, and that's true of nearly everyone. I once saw Wrembel play a $200 Aria and he made that guitar sing and dance. I never have seen a more wide-eyed human being than the owner when Stephane handed it back to him. He walked away thinking he had the best guitar in the room, and the truth is that while Stephane was playing it, it WAS the best guitar in the room.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Damn it !
    I was saving to buy myself the Same Olivier Marin and the same pick that Gonzalo uses hoping I would get the same sound.
    Well, maybe I'll buy an Aria and take lessons with Stephane then ! :wink:
    - JG
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Funny story MIchael, and good points as well! While we were at Djangofest Colorado this year, **** picked up my lefty Manouche Latcho Drom and started playing it upside down. I picked up a righty and started playing it upside down. Then Gonzalo took over from Tommy on my lefty, and you know what -- Tommy sounded like Tommy, and Gonzalo still sounded like Gonzalo -- down to that signature "sitar twang". At last, I must admit, when I got it back, I still sounded like myself... oh well. Seems this playing my lefty upside down has become somewhat of a challenge--with Denis Chang being the current champ. He's played mine a few times and each time he gets better at it! AE
    Haha, that's a great story about Stephan.
    And of course, your point is so true and I know it but forget so many times. We all wanna drive the fastest car but it's the driver who ultimately wins the race not the car.

And while you mentioned Stephan, his show at Green Mill blew my mind open. I gotta say I thought I would like it but I didn't expect to LOVE it.
    Some of youtube clips of him I've seen in the past didn't catch my attention too much but that night was filled with music so beautiful I was high on it.
    And what do you say about David Langlois? One of the most original musicians I've ever seen. Who would think you could make such art with pots and pans and lids on a top of a washboard?!
    That Saturday night show at the Green Mill was one of the great nights of music of my life! David stayed with me after the show and we stayed up until 4 "ayem" reliving it. It was magic for the band, too. One of those special nights where band, music, and audience become one. If you were there, you know just what I mean.

The band found themselves in a special set of circumstances (many new tunes and Steph's sudden decision to only play original music going forward) which kept them on a knife's edge, and the audience really caught that edginess and willed the band on to a higher level. And Stephane seemed freed by his decision and played with more fire than I have ever heard (and let's face it, he always plays with alot of fire), so you know he was killing every song, and he was more open with the crowd than I have ever seen. The few tiny missteps only added to the energy, because it reminded us that they were playing some of these songs for the very first time on stage. The song about the tsunami was was more than moving; it was the musical version of being there, terror, screams, and all.

And David Langois? Wrembel's Grapelli on and off the stage. What a masterful, tasteful musician!

Now let me just shut up...
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I think alot of that sound is Gonzalo's attack, though. I think I could buy every Olivier Marin guitar on the planet and still not get that sound.

Gonzalo was nice enough to let me borrow that Marin guitar for one night at Samois this year.

I did not sound anything like Gonzalo when I played it.

Adrian
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The Wrembel Quartet's Wednesday night show at DFNW was pretty insane too. Just before the show, out back of the venue, Stephane looked at the guys and said: "OK, we just got in town - we're tired - but this is Djangofest and these are some of the most enthusiastic crowds there are - so let's pump up and play our own tunes - let's give them some love - let's be ourselves." (or something like that)

And then they went out on stage and melted the building.

Hot.

After the show, the guy behind me leaned to his wife and said: "I think we just saw the hilight of the festival."
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Funny story MIchael, and good points as well! While we were at Djangofest Colorado this year, **** picked up my lefty Manouche Latcho Drom and started playing it upside down. I picked up a righty and started playing it upside down. Then Gonzalo took over from Tommy on my lefty, and you know what -- Tommy sounded like Tommy, and Gonzalo still sounded like Gonzalo -- down to that signature "sitar twang". At last, I must admit, when I got it back, I still sounded like myself... oh well. Seems this playing my lefty upside down has become somewhat of a challenge--with Denis Chang being the current champ. He's played mine a few times and each time he gets better at it! AE

I love Gonzalo's lines but that sitar twang bugs me. I was thinking maybe his Marin needed a fret job, but I guess it's intentional?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com