DjangoBooks.com

Six women show us the way.....

2»

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Pinkgary:
    Sorry for the delay. I remember a cool English violinist with a name like Sarah Harrison. Ring any bells?
    Who did/does she play with?
    Heretic
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Heretic wrote:
    Pinkgary:
    Sorry for the delay. I remember a cool English violinist with a name like Sarah Harrison. Ring any bells?
    Who did/does she play with?
    Heretic
    Here she is with Stu Blagden:-

I think Fiona Monbet gets a superb tone and can really swing in any company.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Teddy, yes, that's her. Got it in one, thanks for the reminder.
    By the way, I finally got to see youtube videos of you and your band playing in a pub, and thought them to be splendid. I love to see and hear a gypsy band playing in a relaxed friendly setting.It looked like you and the patrons were really enjoying your time together.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Heretic wrote:
    By the way, I finally got to see youtube videos of you and your band playing in a pub, and thought them to be splendid. I love to see and hear a gypsy band playing in a relaxed friendly setting.It looked like you and the patrons were really enjoying your time together.
    :oops: :oops: Thanks for the kind words. I will pass them on to the rest of the group.
  • KarenAnnKarenAnn Virginia✭✭
    I think most people who take lessons, originally start because they want to sound like someone they really like. A role model of sorts. The only females guitarists most young girls are familiar with are really the singer/ songwriters. The Taylor Swift, Jewel and others whose voice is really the lead. Had I been able to start my lessons in my teenage years, I am sure I would have gone the same way. That is really all I knew at the time. But since I have stated my lessons later in life, I have had the chance to hear a lot more music. And have grown to love mostly blues and jazz. So that is the direction I am trying to learn, even if there aren't many role models for it. At this point it is strictly about the music.

As far as improvising, that seems very daunting for GJ. Mostly because speed seems to be so valued in this genre. To much so for my tastes. One of the most enjoyable purchases I made at DFNW was the Gonzalo Bergara Quartet, Live at the Throckmorton dvd. There is of course plenty of blazing notes on it. But some of the best ones, in my opinion are the slower arrangements that sing with emotion...