DjangoBooks.com

Favourite players you wish had released more stuff

TwangTwang New
in Repertoire Posts: 410

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about favourite players who frustratingly have done some amazing stuff but not enough of it or keep a low profile. There are three that stick in my mind.

Number three on my list is, surprisingly, Olli Soikeli. Yes there are plenty of albums and youtube performances etc but when it come to instructional material, there is not a lot. He does a couple of licks on Gypsy academy (which I highly recommend btw) and some stuff with JTC. The JTC format is not the easiest to use. Yet what you do get I have found to be tantalisingly amazing. It would be so cool if there were 2 or 3 lessons on, say, DC music.

Number two is Lollo Meier. First time I saw him he was playing at the cafe in Samoraeu years ago and I was blown away by his sound. We had a chat about picks. There weren't a lot of gypsy picks about back then and he was impressed with my Wegen. He was using a piece of tortoise shell that he'd nearly worn to nothing.

Number one for me is pretty special. Let me set the scene! It was 2002 I's just got interested in Django, I'd never really heard of Gypsy Jazz but I was at Uni and I'd decided to write my honours dissertation on Django. I'd heard about this Django festival in France so off I go with the girlfriend of the moment in tow. After a gruelling journey across France not really knowing where we were going or what we'd find when we got there, we stepped off the train at fontainebleau and were hit by this fantastic green smell. We eventually found our way to the island, pretty exhausted. We had no proper idea where we were sleeping that night and all we had for tea was two french sticks and a jar of Nutella. We'd never heard of Samoreau and petite Barbeau was closed in those days. She thought we'd get a room at the country club... I suspected we'd end up under a tree on the river bank.

But it was a beautiful place to be and the sun was shining. We dropped our luggage and sat down in front of the main stage to catch our breath.

And onto the stage came Dino Mehrstein and broke into Dinology from his album Point De Deport.

I think it was one of the happiest moments of my life! He only recorded two albums to my knowledge. Both of which I've never stopped listening to. I so wish there was a lot more.

Buco

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I asked about Dino a while back as I saw him around the same time you did. Really enjoyed his music. Ted Gottsegen had a response on the thread.

I used to live near Lollo and had a chance to take lessons from him a few times. A very nice and humble guy who plays very well but doesn't really like the spotlight and isn't a super extrovert. When you can get him in small settings though, he is a very giving.

TwangBuco
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Second both Lollo and Dino, I'd add Joseph Poulville; Dallas Baumgarner and Herve Gangunetti. There are I'm sure so many many more!!

Lollo is just the best. Super helpful, humble and nice; but with exacting standards for students/rhythm players. He helped me a lot when he came to NYC; and later at Samoreau - The first time to check if I'd learned, and then just to jam & share thoughts.

Can't wait to see the rest of this thread.

Players who for me moved off this list this past year: Mogeli and Justin Geisler & Adrien Marco.

Great thread!

Twang
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

You guys continue to amaze me by finding these incredible payers that I never heard of who quickly grow on me and become my next guitar heroes. I poked around YouTube this morning and found some videos of Dino playing in 2015. Very tasty and soulful lines with (yet again) a totally unique tone. If anyone has a link to his Point De Deport album, please share it.

TwangbillyshakesBones
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • BonesBones Moderator

Well, I can't believe there isn't more film of Django playing. Considering how much he recorded how can it be that there isn't more film? Maybe because of the war years?

Twangwim
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,302

Also found this more recent concert with a few videos if you were interested. (Edit: hadn't refreshed the page when I posted this after my first comment. Includes the same video as @pmg linked above + a second video.)

• TwangTwang New

This is great! thanks everyone for your input.

• TwangTwang New

If anyone has a link to his Point De Deport album, please share it.

It's "point de Depart" PDG. I can't spell.

You'll find it on iTunes

@pmg Here's a link to a youtube playlist. The first 11 tracks are from Point de Depart.

The rest come from his second album, Intuitions, with the exception of Anouman.

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Damn - the tunes from Point de Depart on this playlist are blocked by YouTube to the US. I can play the ones from his Intuitions CD - but would like to hear the others.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • TwangTwang New

Point de Depart is my favourite. You'll hear his "hits" on that. Also he's using a Selmac throughout.