DjangoBooks.com

Question for Peche users

I have Peche pickup and its great but I still notice that the B string is louder than the others. Not by a lot but it is noticeable. I only bring this up because I hear so many claims that it is perfectly balanced. Is it just a case of the Peche having good but not perfect balance or do I own a dud?

Comments

Yeah perfectly balanced means good enough, I believe. I've heard other people remark something similar. I don't have Peche, I use Krivo, so I'm not talking from a first hand experience. I used to have a no brand DeArmond knock off and on that one B string was off the charts, otherwise it sounded wonderful. I imagine original Selmers were similar. All of today's electric pickups are much better in that respect but they probably go a little further with marketing language calling it perfect. I never noticed anything stand out with Krivo but I never scrutinized it either, when it comes to things like this I stop at good enough (while some other things I scrutinize to the n-th degree...).

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TwangTwang New

Thanks Buco, you've confirmed what I was thinking. I've had it a while but I've been trying hard to get an acoustic sound that I prefer. After a big tone, a K&K definity, a DPA mic and a Schertler I've now finally given up.

For anyone reading this, don't waste your time and money. Just go straight to the magnetics.

You won't have much of an acoustic sound but you will at least have a good sound.

Bucowimrudolfochrist
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Posts: 867

I dumped my Peche for this reason, bought a Gabojo and life improved instantly.

Have a Krivo too and it's great but the Gabojo feels like a balanced Peche.

TwangBuco
  • FattyFatty New

I love my Peche but it has a custom rosewood piece attached to the underside which gives it an excellent alignment to both the top and the strings...The original owner of this guitar had the modification done to improve on the sound...I love my Krivo Micro as well!

TwangBuco
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I thought that the Krivo humbucker has individually adjustable pole pieces, so that you can reduce the volume of the 2nd string.

I'd love to hear more details about this, I'm sure others would too.

You're correct. In my experience it wasn't that usable. At least back then when I bought it. I first got the humbucker but it's so thin that screws have very minimal travel. I couldn't hear discernable difference at the time. But I did also read different opinions. Maybe it's just subjective but maybe Jason improved things over time.

But I'm plenty happy with Krivo single coil. And with Manouche Mic for the acoustic amplification. It's not perfect. But like I said with things like this I stop at good enough. It needs to get the job done, give me a decent feedback free sound with enough volume and that's it (when I comes to pure acoustic tone of the guitar it's a different story, I scrutinize every single minutia trying to improve things).

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Try moving it a couple of millimeters further towards or away from the lower bout. These kind of pickups can be very sensitive to the vertical positioning, so experiment with that.

I would not claim that the peche is perfectly balanced, but I've tried various stimer (dupont) and guzz pickups, and the peches seem consistently better than those products. Perhaps people mean to say it's "better balanced" than the other popular choices and they exaggerate their words too much.

TwangMehran srudolfochrist
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@Twang - I feel you on wanting the "acoustic tone" thing. I have an archtop for the electric jazz thing, GJ guitar, and a strat copy for everything else. So when I use (well, used with COVID) the GJ guitar, I wanted a "purely acoustic" sound.

However, I have had gigs where I had to amplify (like when playing with a drummer and singer). My results still aren't perfect as I really need a graphic EQ, but they were damn good for not having a dedicated sound guy. My signal chain was:

Guitar -> AT - 831b Goose neck-> AT8538 mini-xlr to XLR -> Tube MP Studio -> QSC K12.2 Monitor

The setup explanation

1. Bought a cheap amazon suction cup thing to clip the mic to. You can see the setup in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFy6FRxKYE The tone is direct in, no EQ.
    2. AT - 831b mic is placed 3-5 inches away from the body pointed where the neck meets the guitar (14th fret). This is classic guitar mic'ing 101, and with the amazon clip, I don't need to worry about moving around, mic stand, etc. The tone produced is also much more even than all other clipping options (inside/outside guitar with the felt clip, goose-neck attached to the tailpiece or strings, foam insert shoved behind the bride and under the strings, etc)
    3. AT8538 mini-xlr to XLR converts the mic to standard XLR, steps-down phantom power, and has a high-pass filter (which is needed since the mic is connected to the body of the guitar, and now vibrating - which causes nasty feedback if not enabled)
    4. Tube MP Studio cheapest preamp I could find that provided phantom power and a phase inverse.
    5. QSC K12.2 Monitor borrowed PA equipment, but very transient and plenty of power. Even the bassist was playing through a k8.2 which sounded great.

There's many other reasons I chose this setup as well, but they're more around buying/selling equipment, rig flexibility, etc. It may seem like a lot, but load-in was one-trip. Ultimately though, I do try to just play acoustically if I know the venue is appropriate.

TwangBuco
  • TwangTwang New

This is cool Christophe but I don’t have the temperament to experiment with mics. To my shame, I’m just not interested enough. I just want to plug and play. I’m not saying this is a good thing. I’m pretty sure the guys who endlessly experiment with preamps, amp placement etc in order to combat feedback most often get a great sound. It’s all about fun and I have friends who get a lot of pleasure out of tackling these challenges. Not me though, I’m gonna stick to magnets until the next major breakthrough.

“The condensor mic that does not feedback at any volume”

No harm in dreaming

Buco
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Fair enough. Then I'd honestly go for a CS sensor, and have it build into the guitar end-pin by a reputable tech who knows what tone to look for.

It's plug and play, and can go direct into an amp or board. I've played with Paul Mehling who has one in his Dupont and Stringphonic - I'd say the tone is 90% of the way to a mic-only tone.

Twang