DjangoBooks.com

The Loar 309vs

vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Just scored this on eBay for $370! I hope it’s good, anybody have any experience with one?

rudolfochrist

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

cool post a report

vanmalmsteen
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I had one of these, and it was a really great guitar! I got it used from guitar center, and it was set up really well...apparently owned by another local swing guitarist. I put a McNelly sparkletron p90 sized pickup with flatwounds, and it was a fun jazz guitar. They're really good bang-for-buck guitar.

I ultimately sold it because I have an old L7 and a Levin Royal archtop, and just wanted to clear space for other music related things.

vanmalmsteen
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited October 2020 Posts: 337

Well this Loar Arch top just showed up and I’m very impressed with it. Sounds good acoustically, and I can tell it has a lot of potential plugged in. I’m not exploiting that in the short clip ha ha. I should’ve just left it unplugged. Excited to play it though...... Oh yeah another pleasant surprise, it is quite light!

BucobillyshakesBones
  • BonesBones Moderator

Sounds nice! How does it sound for swing rhythm? What strings are you using? thx

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited October 2020 Posts: 337

Thanks Bones......13 gauge flat wound, with low action although I’m getting some buzzing on 13 and 14 so I have to iron that out. really good rhythm sound. Very classic arch top sound. I’m very happy with it just acoustically speaking, I’ll figure out how to dial-in a decent sound and maybe post something a little more complete. Overall very happy though, for $370:)

• BonesBones Moderator

Cool, yeah couldn't even buy the bare materials for 370.

Wonder how it would sound with bronze round wounds??

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Neat find. Congrats!

I’ve never had an arch top before. Is bronze round, the preferred string for an arched top?

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Depends what sound you are going for. Most old 'jazzers' go for the flat-wound smooth tones but if it is more twang you are after then yes, bronze 80/20s medium gauge are the way to go whether playing acoustically or through a pickup. I have a liking for old Hofners (yeah, my problem I know) and have had many down the years and have tried all types but usually go back to bronzes for most things. I do keep one with flats just for when I am in the mood though.

vanmalmsteen
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805

One showed up locally on Craigslist in W. Puget Sound WA without case $250. Took 4 or 5 days to sell. If I didn't have too many guitars at my age, I would have checked it out. It has a black finish. Maybe the buyer will post a review here.