DjangoBooks.com

How to get a gypsy rhythm tone out of my electric guitar?

in FAQ Posts: 5

I currently own a framus archtop in which I've installed an ibanez super 58 neck, I love the sound for all my jazz but I can't seem to get that gyspsy rhythm "thud" out of it, any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you👍

Comments

• TwangTwang New

Thats the payoff for not using an acoustic guitar. Assuming you've got your Pompe together, If you could get the "gypsy rhythm thud" then we'd all be using electric guitars.

I read in an earlier discussion on playing rhythm with magnetic pickups that it's better to strum more on the trebles.

• stuologystuology New
    edited May 2021 Posts: 196

The techniques of playing 'la pompe' can be transferred to any guitar (with varying results) so focus on developing that, there's no special trick that will turn a Framus into a Selmer but depending on the guitar you can get close. Ultimately though this is a bit like asking how to get a Telecaster twang out of a Les Paul, you need the right tools for the job to get the sound spot on. You might want to listen to some of Django's late period when he started playing arch tops and got an arch top sound out of his Selmer by putting a pickup on it. He moved away from that 30s 'thud' once he plugged in and produced some of his best music.

Dude thanks so much this is so useful, could you recommend any songs/gyspsy guitarists who use archtop so I can figure out how it sounds, and would you recommend setting the amps equalizer in any particular way to sound more gypsy jazzy😂

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021 Posts: 867

Frank Vignola is not a Gypsy Jazz guitarist per say but is a solid rhythm player and uses arch tops.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited May 2021 Posts: 631

Might not be what you're looking for, gypsy bossa rather than la pompe, but it's a video I often go back to as I like the tune and the vibe:

rudolfochrist
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited May 2021 Posts: 631

@stuology: The techniques of playing 'la pope' can be transferred to any guitar

True, but you do need to practise religiously.

Lango-Django
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

Practice.

Practise

transitive verb

1a: CARRY OUT, APPLY

practice what you preach

b: to do or perform often, customarily, or habitually

practice politeness

c: to be professionally engaged in

practice medicine

2a: to perform or work at repeatedly so as to become proficient

practice the act

b: to train by repeated exercises