DjangoBooks.com

Selmer 586 for sale

Hi friends, If the administrator allows me, I would like to put the link where I sell my Selmer guitar. Thanks

https://reverb.com/item/3220426-selmer-586-aged-natural

Tagged:
rudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsBucoLango-DjangoJSantaVebjørnbillyshakesPaul Pomposo

Comments

Should be a wonderful opportunity for somebody. The price sounds...dare I say...very reasonable.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • stuologystuology New

It’s a Jean Barault replica, which Jean sells new for 3900 euros, so it depends how much value one places on the Selmer endorsement. At this price, one for niche collectors only.

BillDaCostaWilliams

I thought that was Jean's anniversary special, 3900eu price, nearly 50% off of what he normally sells 503 copy for?

• stuologystuology New

You're probably right

Buco

You make a good point. How much different from his 503 copy can it be? But I do think the whole story around these and Selmer logo does add some value to this special series. I think at the current asking price it's a little over $1000 more than Jean's #503 model.

billyshakes
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Really, what "IS" a "Selmer"? Similarly, what IS a D'Angelico, a D'Aquisto, etc.? An economic transaction, a license or property right to use a name?

These guitars are Baraults.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamswimbillyshakes
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Exactly. My D'Angelico is a nice enough archtop for what it is and probably worth $1,000 but a factory made guitar from Indonesia is about as far from what John D'Angelcio himself represented as you can get.

Yet there are label snobs who are always keen to pay too much for some perceived idea of exclusivity or belonging to a private club, and I wonder how many players could really justify their financial outlay purely in terms of the quality of the music played.

For now, my Asian D'Angelico is good enough for my talent and it means I can afford a few other guitars which all have their different voices to explore.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I think all fair points here so far in terms of how an instrument might be judged. But, as I would tell friends who would try to haggle at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul (who wondered if they got a good deal)....if at the end of the day a buyer accepts this as the standard value for this item (in this case, not a carpet but a guitar), because of all factors including label, woods, quality of manufacture, tone, etc., then it is a fair transaction. Doesn't mean everyone will value it the same way or be willing to accept it at that price. But, if there are comparable sales and there is at least one person who finds that level of value, then the seller has found "the right" buyer.

Good luck to the original poster. Barault makes a nice guitar and it is a neat "story" to go along with it.

• BrettNBrettN New

Has anyone on the forum played one of these?

Living down under makes it hard to assess the pros and cons of this level of instrument?

From all that I've heard and read, Jean's guitars sound and play fantastically.

• edited August 2021 Posts: 4,730

Interesting points...yes Jean Barault built all of them. I wonder how closely was Selmer company involved in actual production work...did they just give Jean their blessings and let him do his thing or were they in some ways collaborators? Even though my understanding is they have no acoustic instrument experts on the team. Jean is certainly an expert on the subject. So if they were closely involved that could tip the scale of whether this is a Barault with Selmer logo or it's a guitar with a little more Selmer pedigree. I mean you could ask the same question about the original Selmers, no? Henri Selmer built clarinets, I have no idea if he lived to see his company build acoustic guitars (reminds me that I don't know much about how company came to be in the first place).

Which all brings me to the question Brett asked. I played a Barault that was a nice guitar overall but didn't find it exceptional (this is just one guy's very subjective feeling, its current owner might be loving it) then I played a Barault that blew me away (his 503 copy). So either try first or make sure you can return if you buy online or buy and let it grow on you. I usually buy guitars that speak to me in some way. Which means I have to play it to know. And I know within a few seconds. Label might bring me to the guitar, but guitar itself will let me know if I should take it home or not. I custom ordered my Ivanovski and liked it immediately but it wasn't love at first hearing, it grew on me.

Too much talking...good luck with the sale!

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams