DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Demo Video: Bumgarner Corazon, Barault 503, and Zwinakis Selmer

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

You mean the one that sat on the shelf for several years? Crazy, isn't it. Hiding in plain sight, perhaps?

Buco
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I liked the sound of the Corazon, too, but it's really hard to tell from these recordings which would shine in a group setting.

Also, I think the Corazon has a shorter scale length (660mm?). Other than string length, for a good comparison you'd have to have identical action and neck relief -- certainly for playability comparisons, if nothing else. At that point, neck shape, string length, and maybe responsiveness, affect playability.

"Movement" of these guitars is a big headache. The thinner the top, the more movement.

Bucowim
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

The Corazon does have a 660mm scale length.

I have not played the Corazon in a group or larger jam setting yet, but I will use it for some songs on my gig this coming Friday, September 10th. I can report back after that. We are anticipating that I will need to restrain myself more when playing rhythm using the Corazon because it is just that loud. I did jam with a friend while we tested out all the GJ guitars we owned and the Corazon definitely had the most volume and projection. Following closely by the Barault 503 and the Martin Tremblay Busato Replica (that I used to own).

Buco

I have heard that the thinner the top, the more movement as well. That is probably why the Baraults move more since I have read that the tops on Baraults are pretty thin compared to other guitars

• nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

I have a Corazon and you are correct geese, you definitely need to adjust your technique. The Corazon is a cannon! Mine has aged well since its birth in 2015 but it's still quite loud.

geese_com

The Corazons are great. I bought mine after being inspired after hearing Sami Arefin's in person.

nomadgtr
  • All of Craig's guitars appear to be cannons. The adjustments that you make to play a little softer may benefit you at being a bit less tense. The flip side is that for solos, they stand out and have the woof.

geese_com
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

My Bumgarner is also really loud, but it doesn't cut the same way as my Gaffiero, especially playing la pompe. They compliment each other really well in that respect. The Bumgarner is equally at home playing Django as it is some of the old jazz I love as well.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

It may be that the Bumgarner has solid wood back and sides, while the Gaffiero has laminated. (Once Gaffiero went to laminated he "never looked back", according to him.)

Craig has mostly build his own laminates, which is what he prefers. He's done a few solid back and sides. His #37 and 38 were solid. He did one in Koa and his original #1 was solid Bubinga.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel