DjangoBooks.com

After stripping polyurethane finish-How to get antique-look finish (without distress marks) ?

bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
in Welcome Posts: 243

After stripping the polyurethane finish from my Altamira, do I have any experienced folks here who know how to get that antique-look finish? I'm not interest in scratching or distressing the guitar. Also, if you know of a video that demonstrates this, please.

AndyW

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I used artists’ oil paints mixed with tru-oil to darken up an old, cheap gypsy guitar top & neck, if you’re talking about changing the colour.

bohemewarbler
  • BonesBones Moderator

If you are just talking about the aged look of lacquer, you can tint the lacquer a bit with amber (Stew Mac sells colors for lacquer) or use amber shellac if you are French polishing or whatever color you are looking for.

AndyWbohemewarbler
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret

This is what I'm aiming for (see images). As long as the finish allows the sound to breathe through, I think I'll go with Danish Oil or something similar followed by a final layer of shellac for further protection. French polishing looks a little more advanced for an amateur home project type. Not sure yet how to get the subtle changes shading, though.

I think this is much more of an art form than a standard finish. If you have a painter's hand, try it. You always remove the tint and start over before you get to varnishing. I'd imagine you'd choose a shade of tint and apply to the whole body and then artfully remove some and streak some.

bohemewarblerbillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel