DjangoBooks.com

Dupont bridge for Gitane?

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
I want to upgrade the bridge on my Gitane DG-250 but unfortunately I can`t spring $70 for a djangobooks fitted bridge, especially since I also need bridges for a pair of D-500 that belong to my father and to a friend.
The options are a Dupont ($50) or a Collins($40). I`m leaning towards the first.
Will a Dupont work on my Gitane? Worried about intonation issues
The Collins?
What about a blank "Josh Hegg" bridge?
I`m confused and would really appreciate an honest opinion.
Thank you.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Enrique,

The Blank Bridge:

is the same as you'd get from Collins or Dupont. Neither of those bridges have any additional fitting done, so they're "blank."

The fitted bridge:

is customized to fit your specific guitar and specs (i.e. action). So you're paying for the extra labor.

Thanks!

'm
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Hi Bluesbop Harry,

Great meeting and djamming with you at DFLA.

I am so pleased with the bridge on my Dupont that I installed a Dupont (number 1) bridge on my Gitane. The action is at 3.5 mm (due to the Gitane's low neck angle) on my Dupont the same bridge would be at 2mm.. That could be changed if I wanted. The tone and intonation are great. You can't go wrong with Dupont. That said Michael Collins and Josh Hegg are great guys and I'm sure their bridges would be a great improvement over the lousy Gitane bridge.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    Hi:

I've had great luck with the Dell Arte bridges from gypsyguitar.net (****)
    They come in 3 sizes, and in ebony or rosewood, they are easy to install and fit yourself.
    The only way to get a true custom bridge is to take your guitar personally to a luthier to compensate for the amount of arch your top has.... but for the most part you should be fine.
    Whatever way you decide to go ....you'll be glad you did.

David

PS....Almost forgot.....they are only $34.00 !!
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks a lot to all of you.
    Since money is an issue I might buy the Dell Arte bridges, but I couldn`t find the rosewood ones on their site, only ebony, I wrote them an email asking them, we`ll see...

Stringswinger: It was great meeting, playing with you, and watching your show. Hope to see you next year.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    I would recommend saving the money, if you can, and get a bridge from Josh. Josh has made me several bridges and they've all been more than worth the money. He does excellent work, and is a pleasure to work with.

-Paul (A.)
    Reject the null hypothesis.
    Well I went with Imntry`s tip (thanks), and ordered my bridges from **** www.****.
    The bridges are going to be made in rosewood and to our own measurements (custom fitted) without any extra charge $34 each, very nice, I`ll just have to fit them to the curve of the top.
    **** was very helpful and patient and answered all my questions.
    They will ship on Monday.
    I`ll comment on the sound when I get them.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    pallopenna Thanks for the good word.

I feel I should make a comment here about the bridges. The bridges we can get from Dupont, Dell Arté, Stew Mac, etc are fine bridges. however they are what I would consider blanks. By blanks I mean they are mass produced. Even if they are hand finished they are all made from one species of wood. This is how they can make a bridge for under $40 or $50. The bridges I make are not pre made in any way. When an order is placed I contact the buyer and we talk about the tonal qualities they hope to get from the bridge. I give my input as to the wood species I feel might work best and any other input. Then the bridge is made from the raw wood by hand.

From this thread I can see that there are some of you that would rather go with the pre-made bridge because of cost and then fit it your self. If I were to make what I would call blanks to sell on the site and a comparable cost to the others out there would you purchase those?

Cheers,
    Josh
  • kidtulsakidtulsa New
    Hi,
    My two cents...Josh hand-made a bridge for my '92 Dupont MC50, and the guitar has never sounded better...I'll never go back to a factory bridge again. It's totally worth it. Pete Krebs
    Josh wrote:
    If I were to make what I would call blanks to sell on the site and a comparable cost to the others out there would you purchase those?
    Yes, I would have...absolutely. Don't get me wrong, they were always my first choice.
    The one thing preventing me from buying one of your bridges was money, or the lack of it.
    You were sooo nice to me, when I asked you about bridges in the past, and I`m sure yours are great, I just don`t have that kind of dough right now.
    If I had I wouldn`t hesitate to get a "Josh Hegg" bridge.
    Hope all goes well and good luck with your new website!
    The Dell Arte bridges arrived today.
    I`ve fitted mine and my Gitane now sounds a lot better. Much louder and with a beefier tone. The intonation improved too and my action is now at a healthy 4mm.
    It sure was worth the $34.