DjangoBooks.com

"Clair de Lune" Movie

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
edited March 2007 in History Posts: 1,257
It seems that the 1932 film "Clair de Lune" in which Django takes part has been found, restored and shown in Paris last year. Here is a link:-
http://www.lecnc.tv/default.asp?id=66&mnu=66

Has anyone got anymore information about it?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Wow...thanks for that bit of info Roger!

Can't wait to see that...

'm
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Here is a questionable translation of something I found:-

CINE-CONCERT… with Django Reinhardt
    MOONLIGHT to the CNC:
    Find Didier Riey on the site of the CNC www.lecnc.tv, accompanying the images by a film of 1932, MOONLIGHT (of Henri Diamond-Shepherd), where Django itself appeared for the first time at the image with his guitar!

Didier Riey and Jerome Diamond-Shepherd took a real pleasure “to recut” the full-length film of 1932 (of Henri-Diamond Shepherd), to prolong there the music of Django Reinhardt, himself present in the film. We discover a light and elegiac vision of the town of Cannes: the musics of film are rétravaillées by Didier Riey and are played into live by its orchestra…

So it looks like Django actually does appear and play in the film!!!
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Why is everyone so unexcited by this news..??!!
    The chance to see Django playing in 1932 is just amazing;It seems that teddy is finding info hard to find--is there anyone in France on the forums able to help?? or maybe Scott can help--maybe the producers don't quite understand the significance of the find--
    Stu
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I at least am really excited by it, but like you say it's been tough to find any information about it beyond what's been posted...I'm going to write to the woman that books films for our theater to see if she's able to get the poop, but...

best,
    Jack.
    A straight off-the-press snippet of news from someone who knows someone who I think saw it!! :roll: - "Django is barely visible for 1/4 second..." :cry::cry::cry::cry: and it should be available for more public viewing later this year.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    there must be a larger segment of him playing than that...they probably filmed him playing at least one full song and cut it down. more info!!!
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    a wrote:
    there must be a larger segment of him playing than that...
    Unfortunately that is not necessarily true (although I trust it is a bit more than 1/4 second!!). Django was a complete unknown in 1932. Louis Vola had only just found him and Joseph drifting around Cannes; busking to earn a few francs.

Here he is from soon after in 1933
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Wow, what a rarity. The scarring on his hand is much fresher looking here than one usually sees.
    This is a slightly better quality copy..........Some sources say this photo was actually from 1932 like "Clair de Lune"
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Mr. Dupont !

I think that this photo was from La Boite à Matelots in Paris no as there is Guerino playing accordeon no ?

Best