DjangoBooks.com

How to reduce sympathetic ringing?

I have a Gitane 250M with upgraded tuners + tailpiece (with red leather under it also), and I have a problem with strings that I am not playing ringing. This is not a problem with my standard technique, as my wrist mutes the string I'm not playing, but with the GP technique the ringing of the other strings can get very annoying. Any ideas as to what I can do to reduce this as much as possible?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This is a problem with a lot of the Asian made guitars. They're too wet and have an over abundance of high partial overtones and/or sympathetic ringing. Other then just getting a new guitar...you may try different strings. Usually this problem is worse when you first put a new set of strings on. As they get played in they won't ring as much.

-Michael
  • JeremyJeremy New
    Would a more expensive guitar made elsewhere have any sympathetic ringing? The ringing is very annoying, and in most cases there is no way for me to mute the other strings. Do you have any suggestions for a guitar that won't have this annoying ringing that isn't too expensive?
    Most of the Luthier built instruments have much less sympathetic ringing. The Saga DG-320 and DG-330 are also better in this regard. But are usually improved even more with a new bridge.

Favinos tend to be very dry....very little reverberence or annoying ringing. Duponts, ALD, and other high end Selmer type guitars have a bit more "wetness," but not so much it's annoying.

'm
  • JeremyJeremy New
    Thanks for the help so far. Would putting a new bridge on my 250m make any significant difference, or will I have to get a new guitar? It's not much fun playing when every string is ringing, even though you just hit one.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    In jazz (and Gypsy Jazz in particular) the left hand is very important for choking chords... also... Jazz chord voicings (and Gypsy Jazz chord voicings in particular) lend themselves to choking. Michael wrote a rhythm book that details these chord voicings and the choking technique. If you're using a lot of first position open string voicings and/or you're not choking & chopping... you're going to have a lot of ringing. Look for the "Gypsy Rhythm" book.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Usually a replacement bridge will significantly reduce sympathetic ringing on the Sagas.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I filled my D-500 with foam just to see what would happen. It sounds much less wet but now has a muffled tone. It's much more playable in a gypsy setting however. I would not suggest trying this with your guitar I just wanted to see what it would do to the tone. Now I need to find a way to get close to the same effect with a " supper dead" bridge.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Michael,

Which replacement bridge do you recommend for the Saga?

Why does it make the tone less wet?

Thanks
    Josh will make a custom one that will fit perfectly. He has made tons of these for Gitanes so he knows exactly what to do.

The main problem with the factory bridge is that it's too heavy. A lighter, hollowed out bridge that is seated correctly will make a big difference.

'm
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Michael,

I would like to modify my bridge myself. Can you give me the basic specs?