DjangoBooks.com

New DVD: Jimmy Rosenberg at the Bimhuis DVD (Zone 2)

Comments

• FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    I sure wish the people responsible for making so many of these DVDs knew how many of their perspective customers lived in the US, (Zone 1). It would be a good bussiness move. Someone should let them in on the secret that there are alot of fans over here.
    -fopa
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Fopa wrote:
    I sure wish the people responsible for making so many of these DVDs knew how many of their perspective customers lived in the US, (Zone 1). It would be a good bussiness move. Someone should let them in on the secret that there are alot of fans over here.

Sadly, I wonder how large the U.S. audience really is? If one were to add up all the folks that attend all the GJ-related festivals, concerts and camps, how many would that be? And what percentage of that total would be willing to shell out the cash for a DVD such as this?

Last year, I purchased Tony Gatlif's "Latcho Drom" and "Swing" from a seller on Ebay. The disks were region-free, but it was obvious (unreferenced menus visible in Explore mode) that the original DVDs had been stripped of their "protection" via a utility with DeCSS abilities. Both were great movies, btw, but I'm certain they were considered too "ethnic"... too "special-interest" for the U.S. market.

"Someone" may have to risk violating the U.S. DMCA in order to "liberate" the new Jimmy Rosenberg video.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    the zone system is all about paying rights....to have a region free disc they need to pay rights for every country which is much more expensive then just paying for Europe.
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    the zone system is all about paying rights....to have a region free disc they need to pay rights for every country which is much more expensive then just paying for Europe.

Well, yes, it usually is all about money, isn't it? It is noteworthy that region coding has been adjudged anti-competitive by various organizations, including the World Trade Organization and the European Union. Australia and, soon, New Zealand have declared DVD players that enforce region coding as in possible violation of the Trade Practices Act. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code "Legal Concerns," et seq.)

Fortunately, we can usually pop a DVD into our PC or Mac and it will play, irrespective of its RC.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

a hacked region-free DVD player costs about the same as a new one that isn't hacked and so this really isn't an issue in my eyes. ill be ordering this DVD from Michael as soon as i have some extra cash.
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    many DVD players have a code that can be entered via the remote control that will open them to play all regions ...google "dvd region unlock" with your players make and model info and see if yours is unlockable.

Good luck

RD
  • JeremyJeremy New
    If you live in the US order it direct from Jimmy's site (jimmyrosenberg.nl). I live in Canada and I ordered both DVD's from them (Both amazing by the way, with JR is Back being a bit better, in my opinion) and they work fine, and I believe Canadian and US DVD players will play the same DVDs.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jeremy wrote:
    If you live in the US order it direct from Jimmy's site (jimmyrosenberg.nl).

We have the exact same ones here and you'll save a lot on shipping.

'm
  • JeremyJeremy New
    Jeremy wrote:
    If you live in the US order it direct from Jimmy's site (jimmyrosenberg.nl).

We have the exact same ones here and you'll save a lot on shipping.
    'm

Will the ones you have work on DVD players in North America? On Jimmy's site when you order you can choose within Europe or out of Europe. I'm not sure if this affects the zone of the DVD they send, it may just be that my DVD player can play DVDs from different zones.
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Klezmorim wrote:
    "Well, yes, it usually is all about money, isn't it? "

I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect that filmmakers and musicians should be paid for their labor. I don't want to get into a long drawn out discussion on this, but this is, as Michael said based on licensing rights in different areas. The subject of the DVD is entitled to their share of the profits, as is the company that put out the money to produce it.
    Barr