DjangoBooks.com

For Sale: Michael Collins Petite Bouche

stumanchustumanchu Buffalo, N.Y.New
edited August 2008 in Classifieds Posts: 8
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, so forgive me if there are no "for sale" ads allowed here. I mean no disrespect. After years of reading these posts I have finally joined in.

This here guitar has been very good to me (and many listeners too)--I wish that I could afford to keep it as a back up.

It has a Shatten pickup, and was set up by Michael Collins himself. It's a workhorse and has a few dings to prove it. If you could care less about such cosmetic stuff and just want a solid guitar to take you to the next level, then this could be the deal for you.

It's tone is loud and has a rich bass response.

I'm asking only $1000.00 USD (I paid $1900). You cover the shipping. I will also include 10 sets of D'addario gypsy jazz strings too (either .10 or .11) and a brand new hardshell case--with a sweet looking interior I must say.

What a deal, huh? By my calculations it only costs 22 tanks of gas. WOW!

Keep swinging...All Blessings,
Stumanchu[/img]
"All those who are unhappy in the world are so as a result of the desire for their own happiness. All those who are happy in the world are so as a result of the desire for the happines of others" -Shantideva

Comments

• marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Hi Stu,
    We met at Djangofest Northeast 2004 and played a bit at Django in June 2005. Items for sale are often advertised but usually goes in "Classifieds" section. Is this Selmer-size (rather than Favino)? It looks to be but can't tell for sure.
    The dings-anything major?

Mike

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

Don't you already have a Collins?? Give the rest of us a chance!

I hope all's well with you up north, but I wish you'd make it down my way more often...did I miss you at the last few Django in Junes?

best,
    Jack.
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Don't you already have a Collins?? Give the rest of us a chance!

Jack,
    Yes, true enough- I do have one, and like it a lot which is why I was intereseted in Stu's. Okay, so I don't NEED it. Actually, I think Zach (the Zach we both know who plays fiddle, bass, guitar, mandolin, drums (seriously)) might be interested.

I was at Django in June this year for a few days. I think you were playing in town one of the nights but did not make it out.

...but I wish you'd make it down my way more often

I appreciate that. I have thought of trying to connect with you on occasion since I play in a tango band, and you mentioned a while back that you had added some tango to your repertoire. So could def exchange some ideas and perhaps arrangements. It seems that the guitar tradition in tango is mostly classical-based; both instrument and technique. But I think the gypsy style is a natural fit for tango, and offers exciting possibilities, especially for playing in larger ensemble.

I think I still have your email, or will PM you.

Mike
  • stumanchustumanchu Buffalo, N.Y.New
    Hello Everyone,

Good to hear from so many of you in such a short time. I'll respond to everyone here and put up better pics.

The Guitar's neck has fret dots at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th $ 17th frets.

The top is spruce, but looks darker because of the finish Michael used. The sides and back are rosewood--brazillian I believe. The owner before me put strap button on it, where the neck meets the body. I am the second owner of this guitar.

From the pics you'll see where the dings are. The one on the lower bout would need some fill & some type of varnish.

The one on the lower bout was from an incident when I bumped into my violinists scroll on a cramped gig. Nothing like playing gigs in a bartender's closet!

This one on the upper bout was the result of my gypsy caravan catching on fire. I was quite worried about my now paralyzed ring and pinky fingers but luckily, it actually has improved my playing! :-)

Okay seriously, it had me worried at first, but it was professionally repaired and after 2 years it hasn't moved at all. The person who fixe dit is Master Luthier/repairman Scott Frielich of Top Shelf Music--for his credentials, visit: http://www.topshelfmusic.com/

The internal bracing inside the guitar wasn't affected.

The final "ding" is on the back of the bookmatched back--a friend played it and when he was done this bald spot was left in the finish. Needless to say I don't even let him touch my congas anymore!

For afficianados of Collins guitars, this one is modeled after Django's guitar--has the missing brace, etc...it's a selmer style and NOT a favino.

As I stated before, this guitar isn't for those looking for a pristine axe, nor is it a piece of s**t. It's played over 300 gigs and you all know what that means. I can assure you that it is a solid guitar and will serve you well.

Because of the dings, etc I'm only asking $1000 with a case and yes, I will throw in a box (10 sets) of D'addario Gypsy jazz strings--you name the gauge you want. They're not Argentines (what is?), but I've gotten to like these strings a lot.

Here are the pics...Still interested? I have two more pics but can't post them all here. I'd be happy to email them to you directly. You can contact me directly by emailing: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Thank you and be well,
    Stu
    "All those who are unhappy in the world are so as a result of the desire for their own happiness. All those who are happy in the world are so as a result of the desire for the happines of others" -Shantideva
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Hey Man of StuMancha. I see you are in Buffalo. If I buy could you ever get Djambossa (also from Buffalo) to sign the guitar for me?

C
    Hello Emperor Constantine,

(I don't know--sounds an awful lot like "Palpatine"...)

I would love to furnish your request, however rumor has it that the members of Djambossa does not sign, but rather BRANDS guitars with their individual red hot irons. Hot irons are not "Metal" enough for lead guitarist Dean & he's been known to heat up his fingernails on string friction and use them as a sharpie marker. They're all smoking great guys, but Michael Collins made me swear an oath that no branding would ever take place. Dropping it out of a window ok--branding no. Some people have no respect for the smell of burnt wood anymore

The air in Buffalo does this to people.

Babik will be breaking wind in front of our largest crowd yet (15,000 are expected) at Buffalo's famous weekly outdoor summer concert/beerfest "Thursday in the Square". Gypsy Jazz crowd surfing is encouraged, especially during the tune Rythme Futur, where guitarist Stu Fuchs will be preparing his dell arte anouman with knitting needles and playing it through a distortion pedal.

There's that damn Buffalo air again.

We HAVE had moshing grannies at our shows--Djambossa has a goat onstage, but no-ones for sure who brings it to each show. Babik is trying to keep up with a calf, but fans think it's not as "Hardcore" as the goat. Score one for Djambossa.

Okay, I'd better stop.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, the guitar is nearly sold...in a matter of a day or two I should know whether if the famous "Karuna" (Michael Collins P.B. #102) is still available for purchase. I WILL LET Y'ALL KNOW. IF YOU'VE READ THIS MUCH, YOU'RE AN INCREDIBLY PATIENT HUMAN BEING.

When the Djambossa guys discover the whereabout of Karuna's new owner, they will no doubt descend upon its new owner and brand the guitar...goat and all.

Stumanchu
    Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know tha the Petite Bouche #102 that was for sale is now sold. Thanks fo rall your interest.

In case you hadn't picked up on the tne of the last post, we like to joke around here in Buffalo--and yet we take our Jazz Manouche seriously. Check out Djambossa's latest stuff at theri website. Hopefully thier new album will be finished soon! No animals will be harmed in the process.

http://www.myspace.com/djambossa

Be well,
    Stumanchu
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    stumanchu wrote:
    ...here in Buffalo... we take our Jazz Manouche seriously.

Congrats on the sale StuMan!

Wow, what a difference a third of a century makes. When I was an undergrad at UB in the mid-to-late-70s nobody evuh hoid of Django. Fast-forward 30 years and now Buffalo has a thriving GJ scene?? Buffalo???

Gee, maybe I oughta move back...?

'Cept for the lousy economy...
    ...and the lousy weather (still!)...
    But I hear the wings and the *pizza* are still good!

Can you still get a decent "beef on weck" locally and do they still bring in good jazz to the "Tralf'"?

Whew, I almost got homesick there for a moment!
    Hey Fellow Buffaloan,

Yes the winters are rough (that's why I ramble off to the tropics when I can), the economy is horrible (that's why I can afford to live here and do what I love) and the music and arts scene was recently voted in the top 20 in america.

Not trying to be a little department of tourism here, but Buffalo is rising. I predict in 20 years the rennaisance of this city will be something quite nice. (if the local politicians don't $^$^ it up)

Anyway, people here are nice, which I can hear in your message. Hope all is well down south. Y'all come up for a visit now, y'hear!

Stu

www.babikjazz.com
    www.myspace.com/babikjazz
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Actually Klez 1 of every 36500 here in Buffalo is a gypsy jazz player. 1 of 2 is a beef on weck eater.

C