DjangoBooks.com

Can Someone Post A Video Of A Rest Stroke?

Stamos666Stamos666 New
edited May 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 41
Can someone just post a video filmed from the right hand position of a bunch of rest strokes done in succession. When I do it, the sharp end of the pick is sorta raised towards the ceiling as shown in the book. However when I try to play a bunch of up and down strokes in succession on the same note, as if alternate picking, it seems that this is an ineffective method that is limiting my picking abilities. I believe this is due to the nature of the pick being more raised towards the ceiling rather than more straight and parallel to the string.

can anyone please just upload a video so i can properly see someone doing this?

Comments

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    The short answer is every one does it differently... Check out videos on youtube for differing angles & techniques.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This DVD can't be beat for great closeups!

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... d_new.html
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    T'is a great buy.
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    so bireli seems to do it the same way, with the pick slightly pointed upwards.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Stamos666 wrote:
    Can someone just post a video filmed from the right hand position of a bunch of rest strokes done in succession. When I do it, the sharp end of the pick is sorta raised towards the ceiling as shown in the book. However when I try to play a bunch of up and down strokes in succession on the same note, as if alternate picking, it seems that this is an ineffective method that is limiting my picking abilities. I believe this is due to the nature of the pick being more raised towards the ceiling rather than more straight and parallel to the string.

can anyone please just upload a video so i can properly see someone doing this?

One thing to think about...you might be holding your pick too tightly--I don't think you need to ALWAYS hold your pick in the same position. When you finish an upstroke, is your pick still pointing to the ceiling?
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    Yeah, it is. Why, should it not be?

If it's not, then how do I do another downstroke after?
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm

copy and paste the above link, it is an excellent site.
    Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm taking it too literally--I was picturing your pick pointing straight up, so that you'd be hooking it on the strings. At any rate, the link above should give you some good examples...good luck!

best,
    Jack.
    I think Angelo shows awesome right hand technique, just search him on youtube.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    Awesome, this site was great!

I have one LAST question (hopefully)

When you guys pick, does your index finger kinda touch the string BENEATH the one you're picking? Like if I'm picking on the D string, the nail from my index finger is touching the G string and I was just wondering if this was normal.