DjangoBooks.com

Gitane D hole question:

I have real small hands and was wondering if the D hole would be better v/s the oval hole model. thanks
Django headed...

Comments

• Caravan GSECaravan GSE Madison, WINew
    The D hole has a wider fret board. The oval has a longer scale length. You better try them both before you buy. Remember Django's finger injury. Being burned did not stop him. You will most likely be fine with either style.
    Chris Ruppenthal
    Caravan Gypsy Swing Ensemble
    www.gypsyswing.com
  • keithdjangokeithdjango MinnesotaNew
    There are no Selma type guitars here in town, so there must be someone who has an opinion.
    Django headed...
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Hello, I have small hands and small gloves. I didnt have any problem with the D-hole and in fact because it was a shorter scale, I found it a lot easier to play than the standard longer scale oval hole guitars. The cigano Oval, though, I believe is also a short scale.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Nope, the Cigano oval is long scale.

I've got smallish hands, too, and thought for a long time that I needed a short scale guitar. Yes, the short scale is easier to play - some fingerings and arpeggios are somewhat harder with the long scale. However, the more I played, the more comfortable the long scale felt. I'm now using long scale with no problem and have sold off my short scale guitar.

It's hard to say what will work for you. That's just my experience.

That said, if you do decide on the 12 fret D hole, when you're ready to upgrade from the Cigano-class guitar there are a few short scale 14 fret guitars out there, both oval and D hole - Shelley Park and Dell'Arte are a couple of makers who build them.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    If you're going to be playing lead then the 14 fret 670mm scale is the way to go (like the Cigano GJ-10). The shorter scale guitars don't have the projection for lead lines....you'll be hard pressed to find a single a pro using a 12 fret guitar for lead. They just don't cut like the 14 fretters.

'm
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    How much of that suitability for lead is the bracing etc. rather than the string length? I thought it was the bracing.
  • keithdjangokeithdjango MinnesotaNew
    If you're going to be playing lead then the 14 fret 670mm scale is the way to go (like the Cigano GJ-10). The shorter scale guitars don't have the projection for lead lines....you'll be hard pressed to find a single a pro using a 12 fret guitar for lead. They just don't cut like the 14 fretters.

'm

I'm not sure what kind of player I'll be, just want to learn and play some songs. I know I'll be purchasing your book as it came highly reccomended by a bandmate ( Dean Harrington) of someone I think you know. I have the Nolan first book and JJ's intro book/DVD.
    Django headed...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I agree with Michael that 14 fretters usually cut more but it also depends on the player, much of Django's early sound came from a Macaferri D-hole 12 fret guitar...
    I also suspect someone like Matcho Winterstein would have no problems getting heard on any guitar and other players with lighter touch can't get heard even on the loudest acoustics.

Regarding the size of your hands I don't think it'll be too much of an issue as little kids have been known to play on all sorts of Selmer type guitars, you get used to it. Also you could have a 14 fret short scale guitar made for you by a qualified luthier.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Enrique makes a very good point about little kids, something we tend to forget when talking about hand size:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvd7m996kcs
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Ive never been that concerned about "cutting through" because I play with one other guitar player and we simply use our ears to play louder or softer depending on the situation or tune. I suppose I would think differently if we had "campfire" gypsy jams here in buffalo. I wish we could, but we're all too busy doing gigs. (obviously a very good thing)