DjangoBooks.com

best/favorite gypsy guitarist in the us? your opinion

dapperdan7dapperdan7 ✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in North America Posts: 125
just interested in hearing who moves you the most.

i have seem many native born/foreign born but living in the us guitarists but for my money, alfonso ponticelli is by far my favorite.perhaps because like me,he is a chicagoan.perhaps because it was he who first got me obsessed with django.perhaps because he holds court every week at al capones former speakeasy, the green mill.but his fusion of flamenco/classical/gypsy style never fails to drop my jaw.

and i get to go home tuesday and see him again!

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Alfonso Ponticelli is great, superb right hand technique - so good that I went to all 3 of his 2004 DFNW shows! He's overdue for a return visit. My wife also saw him at the green mill when she visited Chicago.

Sammo Miltich another great US Gypsy Jazz guitarist - also due for a return visit to DFNW.

Young cat, Ivan Pena, very impressive and gets better each year I see him at DFNW - someone to keep an eye on!
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    I agree with the Ponticelli critique! I still listen to his "Caravan" cd and remember his DFNW '04 appearance. I wish he would record a new release! Very good timing and choice of notes in his solos. Doesn't stray too far from the melody also like the great Fapy.
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    for my money, I'll take Gonzalo Bergara. Great guitarist; great guy.
  • I'd like to add another vote for Alphonso, and mention that his arranging and teaching skills are as great as his guitar playing.
  • dapperdan7dapperdan7 ✭✭✭
    i know gonzalo.great player, down to earth person, heavenly guitarist!
  • Jack LJack L New
    I remember stumbling into the California Clipper about eight years ago and being "assualted" by Al taking a run on Caravan. Poor old Lou was struggling to keep up and the kid on the trap drum set was just smiling. Then A P went electric on Tiger Rag. I was scarred for life. I've seen him steal the show from more than one European. Ruined me for any other kind of music. Love Birelli and I'm wowed by Adrian, but I remain a diehard Ponticelli fan. And he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Ponticelli vs. Pena ( Godzilla vs. Megalon ) very different techniques - in my opionion. I want them both on the stage together! And Ivan's buddy - Clay Welch - he's another T-Town monster.
  • I know I know it's wimpy but ..... Gonzalo..... Alfonso...... Alfonso ....... Gonzalo

Both great musicians ...... quite different styles .... beyond me
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Jorgenson
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Wrembel is my favorite,hands down. I love Alphonso, Gonzalo, Jorgenson, Kruno, and many others, but Stepane is the most complete to me. Excellent compositions, an enormous breadth of musical influences, and the most amazing right hand I have ever seen/heard on this side of the pond. Besides, more than anyone else, I think Stephane is playing what comes to mind at the given moment, rather than stringing great licks together or working things out ahead of time. And he is inventive and frequently unorthodox, which GJ needs more of. He just doesn't sound like anyone else. Alphonso is amazing as well. He can play absolutely any style of music on virtually any stringed instrument. I saw him do a whole GJ gig on a flamenco guitar, and it was stunning!

Listen, all these guys are great players, and I don't know that we have to pick one as "the best". Steph is my favorite, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who loved one of the others.

Great guitarists are like great single malts: I want to hear different ones in different circumstances. I have my favorites, but at any given time, I might want to hear/drink any one from the famous to the obscure.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I agree. They're all fabulous. However, listening to Jorgenson really inspires me to play, which I think was the criteria of the OP.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com