adrien moignard's guitar

What guitar adrian moignard is playing?

Comments

• Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I believe he plays one built by this fellow:

http://www.oliviermarin.com/

Charlie
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Stefan Hahl told me that he is building a guitar for Adrien...I don't know if he has it yet.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    It is a walnut back and sides Marin with a cedar top. I had the pleasure of playing it briefly last summer, I found it very responsive and well balanced.
    The electric archtop he plays is also made by Marin
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    This might be the link that Mike refers too for the Di Mauro:

http://www.guitare-village.com/occasion/jazz/jazz.php
    HCQ
  • gypsystuffgypsystuff ✭✭
    It is a walnut back and sides Marin with a cedar top. I had the pleasure of playing it briefly last summer, I found it very responsive and well balanced.
    The electric archtop he plays is also made by Marin

can you tell a little bit more about the Marin guitar? i'm looking for buying a new guitar, and Marin is one of the main options
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    As I said I only played it for a few minutes but I liked it. It wasn't as easy to play as I expected, it was loud and round and very "transparent" sounding, meaning every little detail of your fretting and picking got heard. Mathieu Chatelain told me they are not the best choice if you're after Django's sound, they have a much more modern tone but they have a nice "bounce" to their sound. Some people love them others hate them. You have to try one to know.
    Olivier only makes guitars to order and he'll probably ask you to personally pick up the guitar, sometimes you can find a few finished examples at Guitare Village just outside Paris.
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    I took a few minutes and checked out the "Guitares-Village" site - there are some interesting guitars there; luthiers you never hear about here in the US. It's worth taking the time to look.

Greg
  • Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    On the Guitar-Village site when it says, for example: 2 200 C
    Dose that mean 2200 Euros or a different currency?
  • MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    i have played Gonzalo's Marin guitar several times and it is very nice. (played it on sunday in fact!) it has a very dark sound and has an uncharacteristic warmth about it. at first i found it difficult to play (i played it when he first got it), but as my technique developed i had much more fun playing it and in the right hands (like gonzalo's) it sounds great. he bought his from Mathieu Chatelain last year on his trip to paris, as Mathieu had replaced his OM with his newly acquired Bob Holo so he sold the OM to Gonzalo.
  • rodolphe_torontorodolphe_toronto torontoNew
    Hi Guys,
    I'm from Toronto.
    I have an Olivier Marin bought in Paris (I'm french). This guitar is easy to play because the neck is just a beauty. But to play this instrument, a great technique is required. Mine is very bright and precise and it was (and it still is) a challenge to play it. Every mistake is very obvious with it :-)

The sound is not "woody" as some castellucias but definitely one of the best things I have ever played with. Much better than any Dupont or Dell Arte. The dynamic is fantastic (never played any guitar as dynamic as this one) and the balance between all the string on all the neck is perfect. But it's bright and modern.

Some days I love it. Some days I hate it. Depends if I play well or not in fact :-D

I don't know about other Olivier Marin's guitars, but on mine the varnish is very thick. And the guitar is heavy compared to some others. Wich is unusual and should normally kills the sound of the guitar.

Just to give an idea of the quality of the guitar, in Samois, Boba Demeter played that guitar and immediately asked me if I would like to come with him because he wanted to show it to... Stochelo!!! Who played with it and liked it. And the year after, Boba played that guitar again with the same pleasure.

Definitely a great choice.
    tarantoga
    Toronto located