DjangoBooks.com

Selmer 504 owned by Stochelo Rosenberg is for Sale!!

Hello Everyone,

I was browsing on the website from Leo Eimers and saw that Stochelo Rosenberg is selling his famous Selmer 504! Wooow..!!!

This is the ad, http://www.eimersguitars.com/selmer504.html

So, let's all save our money :D

Greets!

James

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    This is a bit scary: Stochelo considered the 504 the "family guitar" and had decided never to part with it. So, I hope there are no serious reasons behind the sale of the guitar...
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    "This guitar is offered at the web site of Eimers Guitars and Ebay. Any offer from 25.000 euro’s and up will be accepted."

I wonder if at some point, 25,000 Euros ($33,400 US), is a good enough reason to part with a guitar.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Yes, it's a real low price for the most famous Selmer in the planet (not considering the 503) and I think it will sell very very fast at 30,000 euro. But you're right: It is a very strange move from Stochelo' side... the only thing I can think of (besides a desperate need of money, and I don't think it's the case) is he doesn't think the guitar will hold together in the long distance. In any case, I will never have to guts to own that instrument after him!
  • If the guitar is starting to go ... perhaps a museum is the best place for it
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • David F.David F. Vancouver, WA✭✭✭
    The only thing I wonder is--how fast can a "slowhand" write a big check?
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Possibly start a Djangobooks Selmer 504 Time Share.
    We all pitch in, get it for 2 weeks each a year
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    frater wrote:
    Yes, it's a real low price for the most famous Selmer in the planet (not considering the 503) and I think it will sell very very fast at 30,000 euro. But you're right: It is a very strange move from Stochelo' side... the only thing I can think of (besides a desperate need of money, and I don't think it's the case) is he doesn't think the guitar will hold together in the long distance. In any case, I will never have to guts to own that instrument after him!

He may have just found some other vintage guitar that he likes just as much or better. Stochelo has owned a few other Selmers and Busatos over the years. Maybe he just found one he liked enough to let 504 go.

He hasn't really used the 504 much in recent years anyway. He seems use for it for all his recordings, DVDs, and big concerts. But for the run of the mill gigs he relies on his Eimers. As good as these old vintage guitars are, most working pros are not up for the kind of care they need, especially when performing 200+ gigs a year! He's probably better off just having something inexpensive and practical.

But man, does that guitar sound good! :D:D:D:D

'm
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    David F. wrote:
    The only thing I wonder is--how fast can a "slowhand" write a big check?

That's really funny, David F.

It says on the Eimers website, "Some years ago famous blues guitarist and collector of guitars Eric Clapton was interested in buying this special Selmer. The deal was almost done when Stochelo decided to keep the guitar. Now it’s for sale again!"

If I were Stochelo, my first phone call upon deciding to sell would be to EC, not Eimers. Save yourself the commission!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy

He hasn't really used the 504 much in recent years anyway. He seems use for it for all his recordings, DVDs, and big concerts. But for the run of the mill gigs he relies on his Eimers. As good as these old vintage guitars are, most working pros are not up for the kind of care they need, especially when performing 200+ gigs a year! He's probably better off just having something inexpensive and practical.

But man, does that guitar sound good! :D:D:D:D

'm

Who knows? maybe the 607 he recently recorded with made him change idea about the 504. One thing Stochelo seems to appreciate a lot in a guitar is volume and he was really surprised by the loudness of the 607 (some time ago I remember he was equally impressed for the same reason by a Marejouls now owned by Tim Robinson).

In any case, I really hate the idea of someone else owning the 504, I just can't help it!

P.S.
    Eric Clapton was really, really pissed when Stochelo changed his idea last time: I'm not sure he woud be willing to buy the guitar now. :)
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Well I sure as hell hope Clapton doesn't end up with it. That seems like the ultimate waste.

That said, the current obsession with volume over tone seems counterintuitive in an age of high quality amplification. I much prefer the tone of 504 to that of 607, and on stage or in a recording studio, overall acoustic volume doesn't matter at all. But who knows why Stochelo is selling it? I guess it's sad in a way, because that guitar is so identified with him. But it still will be, no matter who owns it. I'd rather have it owned and played than end up rotting in a museum. And if this is about needing money, a generous buyer could always offer to resell it to Stochelo if he ever wants it back. I can promise you Eric would never do that!

Time to buy a mask and a gun and start robbing liquor stores... :wink:
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.