DjangoBooks.com

Selmer 504 owned by Stochelo Rosenberg is for Sale!!

Comments

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    The only person who deserves this guitar is Bireli imo--hes stated a few times that he would love a Selmer--the thought of Eric Clapton getting it fills me with horror
  • TomThumbsTomThumbs NebraskaNew
    Somebody had to do it:

Why do they call it a rest stroke......I get tired every time I try playing like that.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    stubla wrote:
    The only person who deserves this guitar is Bireli imo--hes stated a few times that he would love a Selmer--the thought of Eric Clapton getting it fills me with horror

bireli already has a selmer that he recently bought from ismael reinhardt ( fantastic german guitarist)

Ya I wouldn't sell the 504 if I were stochelo ... but i'm not... and his reasons for selling it have nothing to do with music lol
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    WColsher wrote:
    frater - pardon the question from a fairly unsophisticated ear, but is it possible that the "classical guitar" sound might be what appealed to a guy who was more or less pioneering the steel string instrument (at least in Europe)? That is, Django (and his compatriots) favored the Selmer because it resembled the traditional instrument tonally, but had the power to be heard in the new venues?

Of course Mario Maccaferri came from a classical background (both as a luthier and a musician) so it's no surprise his creation didn't sound like a Martin D28! :)

What I was trying to say is that the trademark Selmer sound has some qualities (to quote Michael the vibro effect, the "farty midrange") that the 504 IMO doesn't show as fully as the 607.

As for Stochelo selling the guitar for reasons that don't pertain to music, that is the first thing that came to mind... I just hope those reasons aren’t too serious!
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Other observations regarding volume vs tone: One is that loud guitars offer lots of dynamic range. You can play soft on a loud guitar, but not vice-versa! And when not playing at the top of that range, they can often produce different tonal colors. The loud sound is tonally different, not just louder. You just have a broader palette to paint with. Thats what the cheaper guitars cant do. I have played some Gitanes that sounded pretty darn good, but could neither produce subtle shadings of tone nor were capable of that kind of dynamics. To my ear, these qualities can really make the music come to life.
    Mike
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    dennis wrote:

Ya I wouldn't sell the 504 if I were stochelo ... but i'm not... and his reasons for selling it have nothing to do with music lol

True. He has 30,000 non-music-related reasons for selling it; more like 40,000 reasons here in the States at current exchange rates. Also, he has another Selmer I think... so does Nous'che... and a Mac too...

Maybe they just looked around the house and said: "Too damn many Selmer cases in here - I keep tripping over them...
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    nothing serious at all, but something that i don't think warrants selling the 504! it has to do with building a house haha
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    thickpick wrote:
    It says on the Eimers website, "Some years ago famous blues guitarist and collector of guitars Eric Clapton was interested in buying this special Selmer. The deal was almost done when Stochelo decided to keep the guitar. Now it’s for sale again!"

Has Clapton ever played gypsy jazz (publicly, at least)?

Adrian
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Not more than Hendrix (but at least Jimi led the Band of Gypsys :D )
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Actually, the last time Clapton was in town, he borrowed my D-500, and took it to the Plaza to busk for a few hours. Incidentally, this guitar is now on sale, http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7704 for the same reason, I'm needing to build a shed in the back yard, and, well, I'm forced to sell this jewel. It will make someone a great 2nd or travelling guitar - and it's soo much less expensive than that upstart Selmer. 8)

I refused to sell it to Clapton, too, he brought it back to me horribly out of tune, and with the g-string broken.