DjangoBooks.com

"Jimmy" ~"Gonzalo" Lick?

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited October 2005 in Technique Posts: 765
Not sure how to describe this, but could point it out to you on video! Anyway here goes: it's a familiar repeated lick that I've heard Jimmy Rosenberg do and Gonzalo repeatedly use to resolve to the one chord..especially when they both play "It don't mean a thing..."

Gonzalo also repeats this phrase/lick when jamming on Limehouse Blues on the tape of the jam at Troy's house last year.

sorry can't give a clearer idea as to what I'm looking for? I'm sure it's a well known gypsy pattern that is out there.

cheers and thanks for any help

Phil

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Phil,

I think your talking about the dominant triplet pattern. that's Pattern 9.1 in the Gypsy Picking book.

Have fun!

'm
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    is it really a triplet lick? triplets are really hard to play on tunes like it don't mean a thing and limehouse blues, pattern 9.1 would be really difficult at fast tempos.

do u have any very specific examples? i don't really know about the Troy tape :lol::lol:

does jimmy play it on it don't mean a thing from the "one and only" album (w/ angelo and bireli), if so tell us where
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    the "It Dont Mean A Thing" version with Angelo on "Portrait Of Jimmy Rosenberg" is the exact version that Gonzalo got it from. I know because I asked him about it. Also, he used the Some Of These Days and Limehouse from that album also.

Jimmys octave licks on this tune are EPIC ! And Limehouse is incredible...

Hey Phil , if you can tell us the time marker of the lick in that tune version then I can try a guess...
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    dennis wrote:
    do u have any very specific examples?

OK - I found the perfect example: "It dont mean a thing" from the CD Hot Club de Suede w/ Jimmy Rosenberg Track # 6...immediately after the melody is played the first soloist I believe is Jimmy and he ends both his short first 2 solos with the same lick progression that I'm referring to.

Hope this helps narrow this down. I'm starting to hear it, but can't quite nail it down on the guitar.

Cheers

Phil

PS. Dennis: the Troy tape is from last year's DFNW and is about a half hour featuring Angelo jamming with Gonzalo and others. The quality isn't pristine, but Angelo is playing his ass off (to quote an American phrase :lol: )...if you'd like a copy then let me know and it shall be done.
    rats, that's the one jimmy cd i dont have!

from the hotclub records site clip, jimmy seems to be playing the same solo he does on the "one and only" album which happens to be a modified version of stochelo's solo.

i think i actually might have that tape somewhere around, i actually have some vhs tapes i still haven't watched! thanks for the offer though

if you want ., you can email me a wav or mp3 file of just the lick and i'll definitely look at it

dennis1043 AT yahoo.com
    i might have a feeling it's this one though: ,i'll do it in the key of C from G7 to C

e-8-5-------------------------------------------
    b-----6-------------5-3--------------------------
    g-------7p6-5-3-4------4-----------------------------
    d---------------------------5p4-3-----------------
    a-----------------------------------5-2-3--------
    e---------------------------------------------

that's the basic way of doing, there are a few rhythmic / melodic variations to this lick .... classic django lick that he started using a lot after the war
    Dennis - thanks for that lick; nice lick, but not certain it's the one. I've downloaded the CD into my windows media player, but can't figure out how to save a clip to email you? It's too bad that someone hasn't invented a program where you put your CD in and it shows the tab/music notation of exactly what's being played...or have they?

Michael: I'm sure you have the CD in question. perhaps we can chat further about this next week at DFNW?

Andreas: if you're out there, maybe you can shed some light on this lick as you were playing with Jimmy on this recording?

cheers,

Phil
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Phil,

I just listened to the CD but I'm still not sure which lick you're talking about. Can you give more specific information? Like the EXACT time in the recording when it happens?

'm
  • Tom ConwayTom Conway Maui, HawaiiNew
    I learned a lot transcribing Jimmy's solo on this a few years ago (from "One & Only) ; it's loaded with great patterns that can be used in lots of other tunes. If you know the chords to the tune you can analyze how he approaches things. Stochelo does this solo in a very similar fashion on his "Gypsy Swing" CD from 1995. Perhaps Jimmy got a lot of it from him? Jimmy also plays many of the exact same lines on the Vignola DVD - he's got those long patterns wired like a machine! Limehouse Blues features some similar ideas - Ritary cops Jimmy note for note on a CD I have. It takes some work to transcribe these things but it's not too hard if you concentrate and really slow it down. The hard part is trying to get it back up to speed!
    TC
    the EXACT time in the recording when it happens?

Michael - good suggestion!...according to my windows media player the lick starts at 37 secs into the track and ends at 40 secs. He then repeats a similar lick between 44 - 47 secs.

thanks!

Phil