DjangoBooks.com

street bands- source of energy for amps

hi guys

I watched robin nolan clip where he plays in the street in Amsterdam. What kind of equipment do guitarplayers usually use as a source of energy for amps when they play on the street. Are these some kind of storage batteries? Please, let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFFJ0UV- ... re=related

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    You can't see what Robin is using, but there are a number of battery-operated acoustic amps available, such as this one: http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Roland-AC-33
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    The Roland 33 looks like a great battery powered amp. The built-in looper is a cool feature. A lot of street musicians (buskers) use Taxi amps (rechargeable built-in battery). Some use car batteries (very heavy) to power regular amps and PAs, or some kind of portable automotive battery charging pack (also heavy). Small and light is the way to go and don't play too loud...it can be really annoying. Some street performers in my area have rigs that would cover a medium size night club. You'd think they were playing Carnegie Hall.
    Swang on, :wink:
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Robin has mentioned in his books that he likes AER amps. THe AER Compact Mobile is a 60-watt, battery powered amp. If I had to hedge a guess, I'd go with this.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Carvin used to make a cheap portable PA that has like 3 or 4 mic inputs and also a couple standard guitar cord inputs. can use it either plugged into the wall or it has an internal battery that lasts like 2 hours and you can buy a second battery as an option for more time. It doesn't sound bad either. Pretty clean and decent acoustic tone. I've run my Schertler pick up thru it also and that works too (if you don't want the feedback from mics at high volume). Years ago they were about $250 or so but have probably gone up a bit.
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks guys!
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    Steveareno wrote:
    The Roland 33 looks like a great battery powered amp. The built-in looper is a cool feature. A lot of street musicians (buskers) use Taxi amps (rechargeable built-in battery). Some use car batteries (very heavy) to power regular amps and PAs, or some kind of portable automotive battery charging pack (also heavy). Small and light is the way to go and don't play too loud...it can be really annoying. Some street performers in my area have rigs that would cover a medium size night club. You'd think they were playing Carnegie Hall.
    Swang on, :wink:

What does ' PA' stand for?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    rafapak wrote:
    What does ' PA' stand for?
    Public Address. See this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_address
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    Steveareno wrote:
    The Roland 33 looks like a great battery powered amp. The built-in looper is a cool feature. A lot of street musicians (buskers) use Taxi amps (rechargeable built-in battery). Some use car batteries (very heavy) to power regular amps and PAs:

I am asking about what PA means in this context:

The Roland 33 looks like a great battery powered amp. The built-in looper is a cool feature. A lot of street musicians (buskers) use Taxi amps (rechargeable built-in battery). Some use car batteries (very heavy) to power regular amps and PAs
    rafapak wrote:

I am asking about what PA means in this context:

The Roland 33 looks like a great battery powered amp. The built-in looper is a cool feature. A lot of street musicians (buskers) use Taxi amps (rechargeable built-in battery). Some use car batteries (very heavy) to power regular amps and PAs
    The Roland AC33 and many other acoustic amps can function as a mini-PA. Most have at least two separate input channels: one for instruments, the other for microphone or instrument. It is not uncommon for at least one of the connectors to be a "combo," accepting both XLR (low impedance microphone) and 1/4" instrument plugs. This is why they appeal to so many performers on the street or in small venues - you can use them for both instrument and vocals.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Bones wrote:
    Carvin used to make a cheap portable PA that has like 3 or 4 mic inputs and also a couple standard guitar cord inputs. can use it either plugged into the wall or it has an internal battery that lasts like 2 hours and you can buy a second battery as an option for more time. It doesn't sound bad either. Pretty clean and decent acoustic tone. I've run my Schertler pick up thru it also and that works too (if you don't want the feedback from mics at high volume). Years ago they were about $250 or so but have probably gone up a bit.

They still make it - the S400. It goes for $449 these days

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=S400
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com