DjangoBooks.com

Doubts about Gypsy Jazz guitar to buy...

Hi everyone! My name is Kike, and I'm from Castelló, a little city near Barcelona and Valencia.

First of all,i must apologize about my english...it's very bad! so...sorry...

Second, I'd like to thanks to Mike and other people to make this web and forum and give us the possibility of talk, discuss and advise other people about this great world called "gypsy jazz".

The question: i'm looking for a new guitar and i have some doubts: i've selectioned 2 tipes: Gitane D500 and Dell'Arte Hommeage. Both of them have a D-hole, but one has 12 frets and the other 14 frets (I supose you know it). Actually, i play with a few friends in a quartet of gypsy jazz and i am the rhythm guitarist. I'd like to start learning easy solos (to play in a party with friends or anything informal), but i prefer continue exploring the rhythm world.

My question is: which guitar do you prefer? you think that D500 is enough (it have 12 frets,but the scale arrive to the 24/25, and i have enough for starting with solos)? or you'd buy the Dell Arte with 14 frets?

Finally, i think that i prefer the color of D500, it's like more...original...i don't know.

Can you help me? If you know the comparation of this 2 guitars (or if you prefer anyone else) tell me please.

Thanks you very much!!

Kike

Comments

• Kike,
    I'm in the same situation as you. I primarily play rhythm and am working on some lead playing. I will be upgrading my guitar to a grand bouche at some point.
    Take a look at the classified section here. I've been told here that the guitar in the following link is really nice.
    viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8969

That being said, I've played the D500 and found it to be really nice.

Good luck,

Jim
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I prefer the D500 to the Dell Arte Hommage. Kevin Nolan used a D500 for live work when he was with the John Jorgenson Quintet, and it sounded great. You certainly wouldn't be settling for a less-than-serious instrument with the Gitane.

20090613JJQ2.jpg
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    i also prefer the d500, has that gypsy sound, main difference between the two is the neck, flat back on the hommage versus round classical on the gitane
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    If you can make it to Madrid, you should drop in to see Geronimo Mateos. http://geronimomateos.com/

He builds some beautiful handmade guitars at pretty reasonable prices. They cost a good bit more than the Gitanes, but it would be well worth your while to check them out.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • kike_skakike_ska New
    Thanks for all the comments!!

I sent a mail to Gerónimo Mateos about prices.

Everyone knows any luthier in Spain? and what do you think about the Gitane DG320??

Thank you very much, friends!!

Kike
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    edited March 2011 Posts: 763
    He is actually French, but check out Olivier Marin in Granada. He builds some of the best sounding guitars in this style (a bit expensive, I'm afraid)

http://www.oliviermarin.com/sp/contact(sp).html
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Hi K

You didn't mention if you can get to these guitars in person. When you do you need to feel the neck in your hand; if it feels right, your hand will tell you. Let your thumb hang over the edge and see if it doesn't cause too much discomfort as well, since you will need to able to do this. There are many guitars but not that many different neck shapes so find one that's feels right and familiar to YOU.
  • kike_skakike_ska New
    Hi Elliot!

I think i can't go to the guitar shop, so i must buy by internet.

If there is any shop in Spain, i could go,but isn't the case, i think...

I have a spanish guitar with a neck of 5 cm. Must I search a manouche guitar with a neck of 4,5 or 5 cm?

Thank you!

Kike
    im currently playing a Almansa guitar,,its spanish build and they are great,,look at their website,,they dont have them on the catalouge,but since you are in spain i figure you can call them on the phone and see what they have in stock,,my model is the model AM-2,oval hole guitar and it sounds super,,i used to play a gitane dg-320 and thats also a great guitar for the money,nice neck,good tonality and great balance in the bass side of it,,the d-500 is not my favorite,,but many likes them,,also look at ger boonstras guitars ,,or look at this shop gypsyguitars.de great shop and norman who has it it very helpful
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    "a bit expensive, I'm afraid"
    "at pretty reasonable prices"
    Funny how neither of you mention any numbers. If you have the info post it. Let the OP decide if your suggestion is expensive or reasonable. Help the guy out. I'm sure there are a few of us who'd like to know as well.:wink: