DjangoBooks.com

A tricky question about Professional Set-Up

Hello! Ok... I'm new at this forum. And i'll be new cigano owner soon, i hope... (I'm sorry for my bad english, it's strange but to write is much harder then read... ). My question is about Professional Gypsy Set-Up which is available when ordering guitar. I'm going to order cigano 10 with extra options, may be complete Professional Set-Up. One thing bothers me: is there any selection of guitar before it being "professionally set-up' ed"? I would not be happy to know that i pay 200 extra bucks for set-up of guitar, which was taken without any critic pre-listening and which wasn't relatively high rate.

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    If money is tight and your going to spend $200 extra on a guitar you have not heard yet, spend it on a Big Tone pick up, you'll want it eventually. You can take or leave pro set ups on a brand new guitar, some need it, some don't. Messing about with truss rods, string gauge and bridge height yourself after 6 months or so of playing your guitar, you will know what needs to be adjusted for optimisation. i.e. you will do the set up yourself as the guitar warms up over time.
    Come to think of it why on earth would anybody pay $200 dollars for a set up on a new guitar? For that money I would want a refret and new bridge, maybe a bottle of cognac too
  • pawayapawaya New
    Thanks! I'm so glad that somebody understand me! It's my first post on foreign forums ) (actually second )

I agree that is strange to pay for set-up without confidence in its necessity. But what another way for me to help this guys to choose right guitar for me)) It is unlikely that these guys will customize the first available guitar... But everything happens...
  • pawayapawaya New
    redblues wrote:
    If money is tight and your going to spend $200 extra on a guitar you have not heard yet, spend it on a Big Tone pick up, you'll want it eventually.

I going to order Audio technica Pro 70 microphone.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    I going to order Audio technica Pro 70 microphone.

Good choice, you may have a few quid left over for a bottle of cognac too :wink:
  • pawayapawaya New
    And a few more questions:

1. What exactly is "Professional Gypsy Set Up", "Custom High Quality Bridge" and "Full Fret Level"?
    2. Can guy who will do "full fret level", for example, check frets and if they pretty much OK, let me know and cancel this procedure and remove it from order?

I guess these questions for Michael or even more for Josh.
    Thanks for future answers.

To redblues: I thought that wine is most gypsyjazz drink! ))
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    @pawaya Re: Pro set-up, good questions, although I haven't heard from Josh here in quite some time
    I thought that wine is most gypsyjazz drink! ))

Cognac is what you receive when you purchase a Dupont VR, but if you lurk around here long enough you will find the drink of choice seems to be whiskey namely Laphroaig and Woodford Reserve, both internationally recognised by the gadjos of Djangobooks
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi...the setup options have been extremely popular over the years and are done on over half the Saga guitars we sell. The shortcomings of Sagas' setup work, bridge, and frets are well known so many wish to have these things done so their guitar plays and sounds it's best out of the box. Josh, our tech, can insure that by correcting all these deficiencies.

Of course, there are some that are happy with the guitar as is or wish to do the work later. Although most find that there aren't any local repairman who know how to work on Sel/Macs so it's often better to have the work done by someone like Josh (who has done hundreds of these.) Generally, folks who like high action and play very hard tend to not notice or care about the Gitane setups. But if you like a lower, more modern setup, that plays easy an optimizes tone then these options do make a big difference.

pawaya wrote:
    And a few more questions:

1. What exactly is "Professional Gypsy Set Up", "Custom High Quality Bridge" and "Full Fret Level"?

Setup is performed to insure the action and neck angle are set for optimal playability and sound. The bridge is a French style one (ultra light weight) and replaces the very, very heavy Saga bridge which mutes tone and projection. The fret level fixes inconsistencies in the fret work that these guitar invariably have...if not done lower action is impossible as you will get an intolerable amount of buzz.

2. Can guy who will do "full fret level", for example, check frets and if they pretty much OK, let me know and cancel this procedure and remove it from order?

Sure, but I don't think he's ever had one that didn't need it. The frets are done pretty roughly at the factory.

thanks!

Michael
  • pawayapawaya New
    Thanks, Michael!
    It's OK with your explanation. But can you give some guarantee? For example, if i order all these features (setup, bridge, frets), what action will without buzzying.What amount you guarantee. And what if it will be some higher then promised when i receive guitar ? I spend certain amount of money, instead of getting certain amount of mm's and buzzls! ))

P.S. Please, don't mention, if it seems that my tone is some rough, it's all about my bad english ))
  • pawayapawaya New
    The bridge is a French style one (ultra light weight) and replaces the very, very heavy Saga bridge which mutes tone and projection.

Does it mean that replacing bridge give as result more loud sound ?
  • pawayapawaya New
    And if i order "Set Up Special" what it exactly means? What it consist of? Fret level, custom bridge, and setup including aligning of neck and setting action level?