DjangoBooks.com

The Rosenberg Trio & Friends live in Montreal : Videos !

Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
edited June 2011 in Welcome Posts: 246

... and... how to learn a tune in minutes :

I've got one more coming asap, enjoy !!
"There's no business like shoe business"

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Can't thank you enough........
    HCQ
  • Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
    ...and here's the last one for now :

cheers !!!
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Nice videos, typically virtuoso playing from Stochelo, everything A+++

I'll tell you though, I just can't relate to the Gypsy treatment of Clair de Lune. It is one of my favorite all time songs but everything I like about it - and Debussy - the lilting call and response of those four notes, the melody lifting out of those dreamy chord clusters, none of that is there. Usually Django does some sort of homage to the original intent of the composition, (and Stoch's version is directly Django's), but this might as well be Nuages for what it's worth. It is surprising because to me it is so not like Django to do this.
  • Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
    Could it be because they're playing Joseph Kosma's "Clair de Lune" and NOT Debussy's, that you recognize not much Debussy in it ? :roll:
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    The best souvenirs from our Montreal trip. My wife had never heard James Carter, so she was really taken with him. That and dancing in the aisles to "Minor Swing" and "Dark Eyes" were her highlights.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Thanks for posting these. I was disappointed that Wayne Nakamura couldn't make it to do his usual fine job of recording the concert, so these are very welcome indeed.

My review of the concert is here (down at the bottom):
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9293
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Could it be because they're playing Joseph Kosma's "Clair de Lune" and NOT Debussy's, that you recognize not much Debussy in it ? :roll:
    What do you know - I always assumed it was a Django original. Kozma also composed the music to "Les feuilles mortes" (Autumn Leaves), as well as a lot of music for the French cinema.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew

So despite his love for Debussy when it comes to Clair de Lune he uses a different song by a different guy of the exact SAME title, yet when he covers other tunes like Beyond the Sea he uses the same song by the same guy with a DIFFERENT title?

Sorry, I had no idea... :)
    Elliot wrote:

So despite his love for Debussy when it comes to Clair de Lune he uses a different song by a different guy of the exact SAME title, yet when he covers other tunes like Beyond the Sea he uses the same song by the same guy with a DIFFERENT title?

Sorry, I had no idea... :)
    He was a complex dude.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    "Beyond the Sea (La Mer)" is the actual title of the tune you refer to listed by Fremaux. Pretty unambiguous as I read it.

Clair de Lune (not Debussy's Clair de Lune but the Clair de Lune that Elliot is too mad to listen to properly to realise it is not Debussy's Clair de Lune) is the title you're after.

Discussed here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7470