DjangoBooks.com

Ready for high end guitar? advice needed

spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
Hi guys...

I need some opinions and advice.

Last 3 months of playing on my new Cigano i got pretty bored with it.

Past guitars that I had were all asian made.

The question is should i buy NOW the next level guitar, for around 1500$, like Manouche Latcho Drom, or should I wait for about two more years to buy a really expensive guitar like AJL.
The catch is that i can wait for two years, but my progress will suffer.

I have small hands and not so much strength in them, and i found Dupont guitars much harder to play than Gitanes or Ciganos.

So i need a fast and guitar that is easy to play, and that still has a good sound.

I heard these Manouche guitars are really great for the money but would it be such a refreshment for me after the Gitane or Cigano?

This is me playing my Cigano:

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150285134764589

Thanks!

Comments

• Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Nice playing!!
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    Thanks
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    ...brilliant playing and guitar sounds nice...
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    edited August 2011 Posts: 308
    Nice playing - I like the cigarette and beer touch at the beginning. :lol:

As to your question, difficult to answer as to me it would depend on how the Latcho Drom felt in my hands and sounded compared to a more expensive guitar - you mention AJL. I've played what sounded and felt "to me" like dead guitars from high price names. I'm on the side of a dupont is not a dupont is not a dupont - but I may be very particular or inexperienced :lol: ? Who knows.

You'll know it's 'the guitar' when it's in yours hands.

Now how to manage this in Zagreb? You can always do what others have done and purchase a guitar sight unseen - interview the seller on the phone, have it played for you, maybe an internet video too. Then ask for a few days to try out the guitar in which you can return it. Obviously, it's better to play as many as possible but unless there are gypsy guitars around your area or you can get to a festival... :wink:

I've played with some amazing players over the years who own less expensive instruments (mexi-strats, chinese hollowbodies, $100 fender acoustics) and blow the doors off their hinges with their playing ability. I don't understand how you think a cheaper guitar will stall your progress? Sure you'd need to adjust a little to a new guitar but I think you've done fabulously well with your setup. The playing is in your heart, head, and hands, and will transfer over to whatever you end up getting. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let the 'want' rush you into getting something just because it's more expensive and sight unseen. If you can make to a gypsy festival - even if next year - put your plans on hold and start researching between now and then.

Apologies for rambling! :lol:
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Get a Latcho, it will hold its value and wont prevent you from getting a dupont or whayever later if you want. What it will do is inspire you right away!
  • Hey there,

First, I've seen you on youtube a while back. The lack of having an expensive guitar is not holding you back at all. I've had numerous conversations with Michael and other guys selling guitars. Save some dough, keep on playing what you have, and get what you want. As you save more money, guitars will start to enter into your price range quicker than you think.
    @HotTinRoof

"I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let the 'want' rush you into getting something just because it's more expensive and sight unseen."

I see what you mean, this happened few times to me, and I ended up with worse instrument than my previous.

I think I will wait a bit more, and then make a trip to Paris. Think I will probably go for a used guitar around 2000€. I would also like to try U.S Dell Arte, JWC and Mateos guitars, even none of these makers are from France.

I played around 10 GJ guitars, of which 4 are hand made. MD 100 and 50 had some weird tone, like they havent opened up yet, and MD 100 was around 15yrs old (sounded better than MD100).

I also played Mystery Pacific by Dunn, nice guitar, but rather quiet.

I recorded some guitar from Macedonian luthier Radulović. This guitar are solid built and sound really good, but I didnt like BIG pliage. And lacked sustain. You can hear it on Tiger Rag(lead and Djangos solo):
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bonzovk?ble ... Rxxcn0Z-vs

Thanks for all the compliments and support guys
    I think I have to search for a handmade guitar with a low action - 2-2.5 mm, if it exists.

Sound should be similar to Debarre's guitar on Entre Amis, or Tchavolos guitars on any of his recordings except of Miri Familia.

I love the sound of lead guitar of Hot Club of San Diego, but I think it has a high action. Guitar solos are really interesting on West Swing album.
    Also check out the wicked chord progressions on their song called Bon Voyage.

Its really a refreshment after typical GJ progressions. Does anyone know more of songs that are like these? but this is for another topic...
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    There are some amazing guitar shops in the Paris area - I envy your eventual trip. It will be a very fun experience! 8)
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    You have a bunch of variables. Great style, weak hands, tough location.

I get bored with great guitars and go back to my Ciganos regularly - back and forth - for years and years now.
    It isn't so much "the sound" as it is having some different sounds to work with.
    The ears go nuts hearing the same thing, like eating the same great salad ten times a week.
    Keep your Cigano.

Don't buy anything sight unseen. At your level you gotta test it to see if "your" sound works on that guitar. And you better learn to fix the action yourself, or get used to paying some techie to do it for you.
    Any................Any guitar can have the string height the way you want. It's just geometry, and the skills to get the neck etc where you need it.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK