DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest NW 2011 -- so, how was it?

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
edited October 2011 in North America Posts: 542
So, how was Djangofest NW this year?? I haven't heard much about it, and the YouTube pickings are very slim so far. Pretty much the only thing I've found is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf6ZtuA9QT0

Adrian

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    It was one of the best Djangofests ever! I've been to all DFNW and 2004 with the Ferre Bros was the stand out year for many. This year was right up there along side, with the variety and quality of the big name musicians along side the young rising star Antoine Boyer!
    Martin Taylor w/ Pearl Django was a classic show: PD raised their game and put on a stellar performance on Thursday eve; Martin is a real entertainer, not just with his virtuoso guitar playing, but with his sharp English wit and knack for story telling; it was great to hear his tales from his many years of playing along side Stephane Grappelli. He played 2 amazing solo guitar pieces; including "They Can't Take That Away From Me"; which included his signature solo accompaniment with incredible bass line and melody; all done with apparent ease! Simply brilliant.
    Howard Alden w/ Anat Cohen as a duet, another classic show: brilliant interplay between these great musicians; I didn't know quite what to expect from this show but it was one of the best I've seen, anywhere; go see them if they come to a city near you.
    Stochelo w/ Adrien and Gonzalo was another superb show: Stochelo is a joy to watch any time, but especially when he steps out from his trio to improvise with other top guitarists...it raises his level even further! Their 'Place de Brouckere' was brilliant; Stochelo's 'Tears' which he dedicated to Drew was full of emotion. Many highlights, I hope a few folk got some clips?
    Adrien w/ Gonzalo brilliant show! Again was fun to see Gonzalo outside of his quartet, having fun jamming with another phenomenal guitarist: 'Si Tu Savais' was one of the highlights; which I have a real nice clip of and will get posted soon. Adrien Moignard is one of the world's top guitarists who's playing I find simply stunning.
    Stephane Wrembel: I only saw the Fri show: I love Wrembel's music and his interplay between Gypsy Jazz and Eastern fused music and rhythms...I think he lost some of the audience at the WICA theatre with his overuse of Indian drones...but he put on an intense, fiery show...he must have the fastest right hand on the planet! Stephane has a big heart, is a great guy and was great to see him jamming every where around town.
    Zazi: 3 gorgeous Dutch ladies, a trio take on Boswell Sister style tunes, laced with their own fun humor. They played to the audience and brought tears to many of the men sitting there. Some bloke sitting next to me shouted that he loved them; I had to hold him back! Photos to follow...stay tuned.
    Antoine and Sebastien Boyer: highlight of the festival! I hadn't heard Antoine before, again didn't know what to expect and was blown away by this young man's (15yrs of age) ability. This was a classic Gypsy Jazz performance in the old school tradition: close your eyes and you could hear Moreno / Tchan Tchou as Antoine played classic waltzes and others; including a couple of great Mandino Reinhardt and Francis Alfred Moerman compositions. One of the purest right hand techniques - classic Gypsy style that you'll ever hear or see. Wonderful performance...I hope he'll be back.
    was great seeing everyone...cheers to all! Phil
  • EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
    This year was awesome! I had a great time seeing and playing with old friends and making many new ones. We missed you Adrian!

Thursday night w/Hot Club of Hulaville, Gonzalo joined us for 3 songs, it was really fun... someone posted the whole show online http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA8140B564B24F762.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    319018_10150294448366315_577161314_8257447_687788083_n.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • Dennis wins.
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    I only went Friday afternoon, evening and Saturday afternoon. The concerts were excellent!

However, I wish they would go back to having the big concerts at the high school auditorium a few miles away rather than the middle school auditorium right next door. The seats in the middle school auditorium are uncomfortable for adults and there was little or no ventilation in there. It didn't help that we were having unusually muggy weather for September but it was similar to last year. I noticed people nodding off during Stochelo's concert (and even I found myself dozing occasionally) and several left before it ended, unable to take the heat in there. And poor Stochelo and the other musicians were sweating like crazy on stage. Even a cooling fan or two for the musicians would have made a difference.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    cbwim wrote:
    The seats in the middle school auditorium are uncomfortable for adults and there was little or no ventilation in there. It didn't help that we were having unusually muggy weather for September but it was similar to last year. I noticed people nodding off during Stochelo's concert (and even I found myself dozing occasionally) and several left before it ended, unable to take the heat in there. And poor Stochelo and the other musicians were sweating like crazy on stage. Even a cooling fan or two for the musicians would have made a difference.

I totally agree, that was the one downer of the festival: the conditions at the middle school were/are unacceptable for both musicians and audience; you have the great Stochelo dripping sweat like he's in a sauna and there wasn't even a towel for provided for him; where was the stage manager? Is there one? When your paying over $50 bucks a seat they need to get a quality venue...and they have one at the WICA theatre! I don't think the high school is great - remember the Schmidt show in 2006? The acoustics were the worst that we'd heard and no raked seating. They should stick with WICA and charge a bit more. Between 2001 - 2005 all shows were at the great WICA theatre and were classic because of the intimate venue. I also had to walk out after the Antoine Boyer show and left before O'Connor came on as I needed air. Who to contact about all this?
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    How was the festival? Mind blowing. Great act after great act. Best ever. There have been acts on par with the ones booked this year, but never so many of them back to back. Total Djangasm.

As for the venue, well, therein lays the challenge... Whidbey is a beautiful pastoral little environment populated with the nicest and most supportive people you could ever meet. Moving to a larger town would change the vibe of the festival. But Whidbey has three venues. Like the three story of the three bears, one is too large (auditorium), one is too small (WICA) and one is just right (Middle School) but the middle school is a challenge because it's not built to accommodate older people who are more sensitive to heat and hard seats.

Raising prices is probably not an option because people are so resistant to it... to put that many top acts in such a small venue plus renting the whole WICA facility for a week and flying people in from all over the world... gawd... what would that take... a hundred a seat? ... a big bump in price anyway - and it would kill the growth of the festival.

My guess is that the answer is to continue with the middle school, rent some ventilation for the stage & audience & sell imprinted seat-cusions.

The unfortunate answer to the "where was the stage/artist manager"... well... no longer with us and his absence was felt in many places and in many ways. The festival will adapt and move forward, but we all felt the gap left by Drew's absence this year. His family donated money from his estate to the festival. Even after passing he still gave something to the festival; a fairly inspiring touch.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    It was a great week! Learned a lot, saw some very awesome shows and met lots of wonderful people.
    Got to try a perfect Holo guitar, didn't win the raffle and had the best pizza ever.
    An incredible experience hope to do it all again next year!
  • patrus le sommelierpatrus le sommelier ✭✭✭✭
    How was it? Pretty AMAZING I think :D :shock:

and more here later today:
    http://www.patrus53.com/2011/06/13/dfnw-2011-medley/