DjangoBooks.com

Niglo Picks and metal picks

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and appreciate the endless information on here. I do have a question about the Niglo picks in particular and about metal picks in general: Do they cause more damage to the strings because they are metal and not plastic?

Thanks for the help!
AmmonB

Comments

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought so because they're smooth & rounded. If they were sharp it might make a difference, but i don't think they are.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    They don't seem to cause any unusual wear or pitting of the strings.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    The short answer is "yes". They would wear a string out more quickly because they are a harder substance. You are basically playing the strings with a reshaped fret.

But the real issue is that strings will wear out at the fretboard end much faster anyway, where you have abrasion and sweat working on them, so the pick wear will probably never become an issue.

If you get one, please let us know how it sounds.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Thank you everyone for the responses; they're much appreciated. And Michael Bauer, I will definitely let you all know once I can gather the funds.

AmmonB
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    They're sharper than you might think and - to be frank - I don't like the sound but they do come with a leather string so you can wear it like a pendant thing.

I also tried Guzzman pics which have a much fuller, louder sound but then I prefer thicker picks.
    always learning
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I tried a metal pick once, but didn't like it. But it was more like an electric guitar pick. And I agree, Guzzman makes nice picks!
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    I took a look at the Guzzman pick and it seems to be a very phenominal pick! I wonder, though, does it slip out of your hands very easily?
    I haven't had a problem with it.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Slipping isn't a problem with the Guzzman and it's playable on all three edges. Actually I found the Niglo to slip more. I'm not trying to rubbish the Niglos, just saying it's not for me.
    always learning
  • neillneill portland ,englandNew
    I agree @crooked pinky.. the metal pick sounds scratchy and harsh to my ears, its a nice ornament though - I wear it as a necklace myself!