DjangoBooks.com

The Tracks of Gypsy Jazz?

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
edited March 2012 in History Posts: 1,257
I have the task of selecting 8 recordings to illustrate the development of Gypsy Jazz from Django to the present day. I have already pretty much decided but what would you choose?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    django - minor swing (early period)
    django - nuages (one of the first two versions - middle period)
    django - something from his last period , not sure what!
    matelo or baro ferre - a waltz maybe, or something not typical of the hot club style
    titi winterstein or scnuckenack - something from the 70s, perhaps a traditional soundning tune
    angelo debarre - one of his hungarian medleys...
    rosenberg trio - for sephora
    bireli lagrene - place du tertre or one of his compositions featuring sax ...

hard to choose actually
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    1. One of Django's early recordings on Banjo - D‚ception D'Amour (Or anything really, doesn't matter.)

2. Django's private recording of "Tiger Rag" or "After You've Gone" or "Confessin'"

3. First recording of "Dinah" with the QHCF

4. Something inbetween 1934 and 1940, either "Tiger Rag" or "After You've Gone" or "Confessin'" (To illustrate the difference between the private recording and the issued recording.)

5. Something during the war - Nuages with Fud Candrix (Django guest-starring/leading an orchestra with his compositions.)

6. Something after the war on electric - Interview & Yesterdays (Django in media.)

7. Choti played by an early contemporary player (Gypsy Waltz being born.)

8. The Teddy Dupont Swing Cats - Minor Swing or any other GJ standard (Contemporary bands carrying on Django's Legacy, Django's standards being performed et.c.)
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    I like Denis's selections. The current folks in the genre have even more influences thrown in. Giniaux, Moignard, Les Doigts de l'homme, Gadjologie - maybe a selection from one of these?
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    I tried to break away from the usual 1937 Minor Swing 1940 Nuages 1953 Anouman kind of thing. From a historical perspective, Minor Swing wasn't even a popular standard until quite a while after it was recorded. Nuages was covered a lot around the time it was recorded. The most important years of Django's life were 1928, 1934, 1940 and 1947 imho. But not perhaps the most important years of Django's life as seen today. Today, it seems only 1934-1939 matters as far as Django goes. Everybody talking about and emulating the original Quintet. His Big Band work, nobody seems to care about. And people forget Nuages, Manoir De Mes Rêves et.c were recorded later in his life. The youngest big standard I think is Artillerie Lourde, which is from 1944. And of course Anouman, 1953.

Django was at his peak in popularity at the very end of WWII. Not in 1934-1939. So clearly the war had to be the most important part of his life in his own perspective.

But the topic was about the evolution of Gypsy Jazz, and the 1934-1939 period is the most influential today, and the part most care about. So in a historical perspective, those years are the most important ones today, just not in Django's life overall. But certainly his legacy.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    To put it in perspective, this is intended for a possible radio program aimed at the average punter and not for gypsy jazz fans or musicians.

The idea is to attract new people to the music so as well as being illustrative of the development, the examples need to be musically readily accessible to the layman.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I'd throw a Tchavolo track at that list if it is meant for adver-tainment-ducation. I find him by far the most accessible and infectious player.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy Tchavolo. His J'Attendrai from the Samois Fest is among my fave videos to watch, and the dialogue between him and Romane in Vie de Django is wonderful, some history in their talk alone.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    if the goal is to attract newcomers and people who know very little about music:

django - minor swing 1937
    angelo debarre - one of his hungarian medleys from Gypsy Guitars
    rosenberg trio - Bossa Dorado (live at northsea jazz festival)
    Bireli Lagrene - La Mer (gypsy project)
    rosenberg trio - Les Yeux Noirs (seresta)
    tchavolo schmitt - miri familia (from swing soundtrack.. I HATE this song but people love it!!!!)
    Brady Winterstein - You Rascal You
    Yorgui Loeffler - Blue Drag

-----

this is a list based on the fact that non-musician people i know seem to react very very positively to these songs... it doesn't really showcase the evolution of gypsy jazz in any way...
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Dennis, you hate it so much you even got the name wrong! Miri Familia is one of his albums, Mire Pral is the name of the song you are thinking of.

Correcting Dennis? I just pumped my fist and gave myself a congratulatory "yes!" à la Stochelo lol.
    hahah u got me there! i actually knew the name , it was just a brain fart! but fair is fair, you got me kevin!!!