DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz and Oud right hand.

Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
edited November 2012 in Technique Posts: 203
I've been checking out Oud players on Youtube recently. When you look at their picking hands, they use a very similar hand positioning; broken wrist/rest stroke/powerfull downstrokes,ect.
Is this the origins of our Gypsy picking style?? It would make sense.
Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Interesting observation, Ian. I've been paying more attention to the oud since DIJ, specifically, Stephane Wrembel; I know he's into the roots of the music in this way. (See here, for example):
    "Being inspired by Django's guitar style is No. 1," Wrembel says as he lists his reasons behind Django A Go-Go. "Loving the repertoire is second, playing is third. We improvise on themes using his technique--an ancient technique used on the oud and the lute that gives you more power on the guitar. It's the traditional repertoire but Django is a departure point, not the end."

It would be interesting to find out more about this. Haven't seen it in years - can't seem to obtain a copy anywhere - but Latcho Drom, did the instrument figure in the film at all? (remember the wedding in India, and the Flamenco, and the tragic Ceacescu sequences....but a lot has been dropped from my memory map).
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • If I recal correctly from one of the books on Django i read, Django learned this technique from aplayer in Paris who had strong Flamenco roots. Lots of downstroke rest stroke thumb in flamenco, and i think they maybe do an upstroke thumb as well.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the guitar also used to be taught this way in the beginning of the 20th century, i saw some method books from that period that explicitly tell the students to start each new string with a downstroke; even joe pass learned that way, he talks about it in some interview / book... if i'm not mistaken, all plectrum styled instruments were played / taught that way ; including mandolin
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Pretty much every plectrum instrument uses some variation of the rest stroke picking technique. All the old classical Italian mandolin methods recommend it and you'll see most ethnic instruments like the Bouzouki and Cuban Tres are also played with rest strokes. As Denis mentioned, all the early jazz guitarists played with rest strokes as well, it wasn't until the introduction of the electric guitar that people switched to free stroke alternate picking.
  • i wonder if the alternate style of playing started with electric guitar?

It's not nearly as loud a picking style in my experience
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    I saw a video of a SAZ player yesterday too, same thing. It's on my Facebook page if anyone's interested.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    A friend of mine is from Lebanon, and plays Oud and a variety of those instruments.
    He's often correcting my right hand position. I have to say, that regards to Gypsy Jazz technique, his technique would be flawless.
    That being said, he does not use the rest stroke, although he strokes down everytime he changes string, the type of traditional (long and very soft) "pick" he uses doesn't really allow the same type of rest stroke even if the idea and the effect are quite similar.
    - JG
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    i wonder if the alternate style of playing started with electric guitar?

It's not nearly as loud a picking style in my experience
    It did start then - it was designed for speed when people felt they no longer needed to worry about volume and projection, thanks to amplification. It then crept over into acoustic playing as well.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    Paul- have you tried YouTube for the Latcho Drom film? Found it there recently after being unable to locate it elsewhere.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks, Mike. Perfect!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.