DjangoBooks.com

Oscar Aleman where have you been my whole life?

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    noodlenot wrote:
    why was he called aleman (german), BTW?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleman_%28surname%29

Also, on the subject of his picking style, her's a quote from the man himself:
    "I knew Django Reinhardt well. He used to say jazz was gipsy - we often argued over that. I agree with many Americans I met in France who said he played very well but with too many gipsy tricks. He had very good technique for both hands, or rather one hand and a pick, because he always played with a pick. Not me, I play with my fingers. There are things you can't do with a pick - you can't strike the treble with two fingers and play something else on the bass string. - But I admired him and he was my friend. He was my greatest friend in France. We played together many times, just for ourselves. I used to go to his wagon, where he lived. I've slept and eaten there - and also played! He had three or four guitars. Django never asked anyone to go to his wagon, but he made an exception with me. I appreciated him, and I believe the feeling was mutual".
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Wow - it sounds like his style may have had more in common with Martin Taylor (who I think is among the greatest living guitarists) though not as sophisticated... but then Taylor is freak of nature - a man who can do 3, even 4 things at once. Regardless, both should be required listening in any music class.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    noodlenot wrote:
    why was he called aleman (german), BTW?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleman_%28surname%29
    thanks, but the main reason why i was asking - not that it matters much, granted - was because Aleman was not his birth name,IIRC, so i assumed he adopted it for some reason.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    noodlenot wrote:
    ... Aleman was not his birth name,IIRC, so i assumed he adopted it for some reason.
    For what it's worth the Wiki article says his birth name was Oscar Marcelo Alemán. His father's name was Jorge Alemán Moreira, but it is common practice (as I recall from my high school Spanish) in Spanish-speaking countries for a child to be given the father's and mother's surnames, with the mother's name coming last (unlike English practice), often with a "y" (and) between. Oscar's naming obviously did not follow that pattern.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    "I knew Django Reinhardt well

Great quote. Hail Aleman, Hail Django! Also, Ben, dig your website.. good music! 8)
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Interestingly enough, just as we're on the topic of Oscar Aleman, a new CD has come out with the long-lost last recordings by OA. The CD, called Oscar Aleman Buenos Aires 1965-1975 on Acqua Records/Fremeaux, receives a 3/4 page review in the recent (Sept 2012) issue of Vintage Guitar magazine. Our ever-knowledgeable and trusty Michael Dregni writes in the review, "The first half features a 1965 session with Aleman and his Cinco Caballeros backed at times by an unnamed horn section. The ensemble cut 11 tracks of jazz standards intermixed with Latin tunes. The thrill is hearing Aleman play electric." He further notes, "The second half of the CD encompasses eight tracks recorded in a simple acoustic trio in 1975. These cuts step back to Aleman's Paris years in style and grace. The recording quality is glorious and Aleman's playing is stellar." Nuff said, I'd say. Gotta get this CD! AE
    jlander9 wrote:
    Great quote. Hail Aleman, Hail Django! Also, Ben, dig your website.. good music! 8)
    Thanks - I consider myself extremely fortunate to have found enough excellent and like-minded musicians to form a GJ band in this enclave of Celtic fiddle music. We're the only Canadian group that I know of east of Montreal playing in the style. There are a few that talk about Django as an influence but play something entirely other.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Hi everybody - my name is Scott I'm a struggling musician in San Francisco. I have been a struggling musician for nearly 5 years. At first I was in denial about my condition, but then an intervention of friends and family made me realize I needed help.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/continental-breakfast-club/id542977746

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990969473/to-make-a-music-video-for-original-song-drone-of-d

I have original music partially inspired by the Hot Club. Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
    Hi everybody - my name is Scott I'm a struggling musician in San Francisco. I have been a struggling musician for nearly 5 years. At first I was in denial about my condition, but then an intervention of friends and family made me realize I needed help.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/continental-breakfast-club/id542977746

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990969473/to-make-a-music-video-for-original-song-drone-of-d

I have original music partially inspired by the Hot Club. Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
  • oliverfoliverf VancouverNew
    Thanks for posting this. What a showman as well as a talented player.