DjangoBooks.com

tone, pick thickness, and pick noise

Comments

• dmin7thdmin7th ✭✭
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    I cant get the big fat picks to sound any good at all ...the attack is way too ???? Uncrisp :oops: :oops: :oops: for me
    Kinda soggy? :)
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I likely change out every couple of weeks on the argies, which would mean for me, all told, somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40 hours. It's obvious when they're dead - the feel is also rough and "wire" like, though I know that doesn't get to it. I know Gallis have a rep for even less half-life.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • dmin7th wrote:
    Kinda soggy? :)

Rofl : :lol:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what kind of pick Jimmy Rosenberg uses?
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    edited November 2012 Posts: 159
    Hi everyone,

I read the post and I'd like to say that, being here in Paris with all those players, that YOU make the sound. Don't expect the pick to magnify something that may not be there. BIreli or Stochelo sound great not because of the pick but because it's them!

There are indeed some slight differences.
    Personnally I prefer tortoise shell above all because it definitely is the best material : tone is great, no clicking, mild and brilliant, sticks to your fingers, doesn't slip.
    But it expensive and hard to find. If it comes from a turtle farm or if you find the right shell on the beach during your vacations it's allright but no one should kill a wild animal for that.

After shell, my favorite is Wegen because it doesn't click like every other plastic pick. So it's strange that some of you guys happen to have click with it.

The gator 2mm thing came just because of one thing, which is I think quite funny/sad : Bireli used it in the Live a Vienne DVD! Since that very DVD where guys could see his pick, they all started to do so : Giniaux, Adrien and then their friends, half of the players etc...
    But be aware (unless I missed it in your previous messages) that they use it with one of the round edge, not the sharp edge.

this thinner picks allows faster playing, sweeping, etc... that you can not do with a 5mm stone BUT if you want to really get the sound of an old, man's guitar with fat neck and stuff, you gotta have some 2,5 or 3 or 5mm pick and strike them strings strongly with the rest-stroke technique. That's the traditionnal way.
    If you have a weak attack, the pick won't change much

I hope all this can give you some infos.

Best,
    Mitch
    PS 75 bucks a pick... damned, I went on their site but with what material are those picks made of? Please guys don't support stuff like that, we are not milking cows! :lol:
  • The material that blue chip picks is made of is an extremely expensive NASA developed (if my memory of my talks with Matthew Goins is correct) plastic. You can hold it up to a grindstone and it doesnt mark much at all and that with a lot of pressure. Thats pretty slick material.

If my memory is correct its like 10 grand for a 10cm by 25 cm by 2.5 cm block. Matthew's business is an automotive machine shop. Picks are just a sideline business and he doesnt make much much off each pick.

I think everyone posting here recognizes that it is the player that makes or breaks the sound.

But if picks dont matter why do so many top players play different picks. Hmmmmmmm,.

Btw The 1.5 mm large jazz pick is only 35 bucks. Even the custom ones I have made that are similar in shape to a Wegen Big City except for the tip profile and just cost me 35 bucks. They arent for everyone but they do work for me and a whole lot of other people.
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Hi Jazzaferri,

Thanks for the info about bluechips material. I now have a better understanding of the pricing.
    Then that would like be THE eternal pick? The Excalibur of picks! :D
    Would be really interesting to try... but you'd better not loose it :lol:

When you say :
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    But if picks dont matter why do so many top players play different picks. Hmmmmmmm,.
    Hi Jazzaferri,
    Do you ask if top players have all kind of picks or if they all have the same kind of pics?
  • Some I ask, some tell others who pass it on, a few I have the privilege to know. A few post here.

Why do, Dunlop, Blue Chip, Wegen et al. make so many different sizes, and thicknesses of pick. Someone had to say, I have a better idea for what would work for me. They dont make production picks based on the input of beginners. Trial and error, input from pickers that they respect....etc etc.

I think you get the idea.

To me picks are like the reed/mpce discussions that go on and on and on in sax (my double) forums. There are always threads, whats the best mpce for whatever, reed for my particular mpce.... Everybody is a little different in build, and brings different experiences (or lack thereof which is fine too) to the table.

The fact that I play an old Personaline mpce from the early 50's and get a sound that some people seem to like doesnt mean that setup will work for another. So with guitars.

Stochelo picks a little differently from Birelli. Watch and listen closely and you will hear and see the difference. Not huge but its there. I am sure they could make just about any pick work, but they probably use different ones for whatever reasons they have.

I know what SR used in 2010 because he showed me.... i have heard he still uses them... Maybe he sticks with them in part because he is sponsored maybe for him they are just right and he would play them regardless... I am certain he could adapt to just about anything. I am not sure whatick Robin prefers, the few times I have been in a class or jam with him he seems to be borrowing :lol: .
  • Oh and I lost a pick to Sebastian a few years ago too. :shock: :lol::lol:
    So what pick was Stochelo playing?