DjangoBooks.com

tone, pick thickness, and pick noise

Comments

• If my memory is working right a Big City but I dont recall which thickness :oops: Age is creeping up.

Dont know if he still is playing one. You guys over there would have a better idea methinks.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    I tend to believe he plays rather thin picks but...
    I'm shure Denis knows that :)

I've tried the big city but they're too small for me. Great picks for jazz playing though
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Mitch wrote:

I've tried the big city but they're too small for me. Great picks for jazz playing though

I said to hell with all expectations, and I've found the motherlode of great picks - I use the round end for rhythm, the pointed end for lead lines.

swirl-picks.jpg

-and olives. :D
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Mitch wrote:

Everybody has their own different needs. It would be interesting to explore what principles create those different needs but I suspect the list would be rather large :shock:
    OK I gave in and ordered the TP60 1R. Was afraid of paying for thicker ones and possibly end up not using it but I'm gravitating towards a bit thinner picks lately too. Like Big City is what I've been using lately and at first I had 1.4mm and liked it and then got 2.2mm to compare but I think I like 1.4 better.
    Seems that general consensus is that Bluechip will produce a warmer tone and that's what I'm after. I really like Big City but I wish I could switch to a rounder tip for rhythm playing.
    Sure have high hopes for Bluechip, this spending $ on picks is becoming crazy, it needs to stop.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    So finally got it. First I tried it and didn't think it's that much different from the big city picks.
    I just thought oh well another pick in the drawer.
    Then I went to a friends place to jam, we play together in a band, and at one point I asked him to put me to the blind test. He'll play several picks and I'll take notes. He used my guitar, though he's got beautiful Shelley Park, and we went through big city 1.4 and 2mm, Wegens gypsy jazz picks 2 (I think it was 2mm) and 3.5mm and blue chip tp601r.
    Well on my blind test I picked out to like the blue chip the best. I noted that it had the most rounded tone of all with good bass and good treble register.
    I noted that the thiner gypsy Wegen was similar to the blue chip.
    Both big city I noted were brighter sounding and thicker Wegen was somewhere in between.
    They all had good volume, I didn't notice big differences but I also wasn't listening for that, only the tone qualities.
    This was a big surprise and a lesson too. But I'm happy, very happy, that the blue chip was my #1 pick and exactly for the tone qualities I was looking for like I described in my previous post, most of all warmer tone.
    The only downside is that I really got used to the shape of the big city and the blue chip is wider then what I expected it to be.
  • That's why I had them make me a large jazz one with the tri point tip.
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    That's why I had them make me a large jazz one with the tri point tip.
    How much more is it for custom order? I was thinking about that too I'm not sure which pick model to customize. Main tip on your jazz pick isn't too pointy for you? I'm not picturing the looks of your pick, you think you could post the picture of it?
  • The large jazz is the same price with the tp point. Cheaper than the tp. No additional cost. Email Allen Goins (same email as Matthew on the card. If you want one the same shape as a big city, comp,ete with holes, and the TP tip, Allen has the drawing I sent him and his milling machine will make it for the same price as a Lage Jazz.

Just tell him you were talking with Jay Jennings so he has a reference to find his info.
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    The large jazz is the same price with the tp point. Cheaper than the tp. No additional cost. Email Allen Goins (same email as Matthew on the card. If you want one the same shape as a big city, comp,ete with holes, and the TP tip, Allen has the drawing I sent him and his milling machine will make it for the same price as a Lage Jazz.

Just tell him you were talking with Jay Jennings so he has a reference to find his info.
    Sweet, thanks Jay!
    edit 4/22
    I like the blue chip so much that I decided to get another one but I called and talked to either Matthew or Allen, can't recall now, and described what I like in my current pick and what kind of sound I'm after and he recommended to try the SR60. I got it just in time for a bar gig we did on Fri and man this pick is great. I'm a total believer in BluChip and shaping the sound of your instrument through this incredible tool. The SR60 gives me even fatter, warmer tone then the round tip of TP1R, with a ton of attack and power. It snaps the strings so hard and I'm getting that sitar sounding twangy quality that I loved hearing in other players so much. On the rhythm it's a whip.
    It seems like it makes the strings vibrate so much that the guitar puffs with air.

I think these picks can shape the sound of your guitar so much that if you get the wrong one for your type of instrument/playing you'll dislike it very much.
    In my case it took their roundest tip to get the kind of warmth that I was looking to get from my guitar. I don't care too much about the pointy corners on TP1R, had I ordered their regular TP with all pointy corners I'd have returned it for sure.

They really have no problems exchanging a pick for you within 30 days of your order or even refunding your purchase so it really is easy to try for yourself.

He did say they're trying to stay away from the kind of custom picks Jay had them make, but they will gladly customize any of their own models for you, different tips, gauges etc.