DjangoBooks.com

Django in Color

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited February 2007 in Welcome Posts: 6,152
Here's a colorized Django photo....cool!

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    That session produced some of my favorite Django pics-in fact, I've got one hanging over the bar in my kitchen! Thanks, Michael.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Didn't that shim go for $5000 on ebay a short while ago?

:lol:
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Thanks Michael! -s
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    That is actually a true colour photo, not "colorized". It is one of the three taken by Hervé Derrien shortly before Django died. I and a group of other enthusiasts are hoping to publish a book dedicated to photos of Django (we have around 500) and the three coloured ones would be included.

The shim is a Paris Metro ticket. Django spared no expensive in keeping his guitar up to scratch. :roll:
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Great!
    Happy to see this italian magazine
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks Roger...for some reason I thought the original was B/W.

'm
    Thanks Roger...for some reason I thought the original was B/W.
    There were some B&W ones taken at the same time by Derrien but Django is wearing a different jacket in those. There is a superb copy of one of the other colour ones on the cover of the Saga "Retrospective - Django Reinhardt 1934-53" CD although the flowers behind Django in the original have been removed for aesthetic reasons!! :?
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    I just want to point out how long Djangos fingers are, although damaged he was blessed with large hands which I am sure is one of the factors that enabled him to overcome his injury and go on to devolope the most phenomenal of techniques.
    RKatz wrote:
    I just want to point out how long Djangos fingers are, although damaged he was blessed with large hands which I am sure is one of the factors that enabled him to overcome his injury and go on to devolope the most phenomenal of techniques.
    Yes his fingers were enormous and he could bend them at the oddest angles relative to each other.

Here's the Saga photo:-
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Beautiful photos. However, I'm not convinced that they are not airbrushed in color. Having been an airbrush artist, I am aware of the marvelous work that can be done. If you look at his left sleeve in the second photo, it is simply bluer than the rest of his jacket, the result of using the same transparent color over a lighter gray area. Also, the metro ticket has been somewhat finessed, as it appears to be the same tint as his guitar. Plus the orange shadow underneath his finger on the guitar is simply too orange. But one thing you can be sure of, he didn't change jackets (and kerchiefs). The pattern of the folds is too identical for it to be anything more than a second photo taken seconds apart from the first.

Regardless, they are two of the nicest photos of Django I've seen.