DjangoBooks.com

Air Travel with my Guitar

Hi All,

I have a Saga Cigano GJ-10 Student guitar.

Can someone recommend a good case for international air travel (check in, not carry-on)? Something versatile. I told myself that if I continue to play gypsy jazz after a year, I was going to buy myself a really nice guitar, so I'd like a case that would be useful for whatever I buy in 5 months....)

Thanks!

Comments

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited November 2013 Posts: 476
    I would think you could find the case on this site.
    I've traveled with a mid value guitar in a gig bag many times on planes. Many times I've been told it has to go underneath (in the belly of the plane with the luggage.
    I make a scene, mostly just keep talking, but once going out of Korea, the gestapo was relentless. I finally took it out of the bag hoping that if they'd never seen a Selmac, I could convince them its priceless. It finally worked. I've managed getting it in the overhead every attempt but the price to my dignity has been hard, and I'm convinced they'll fail to give in soon. One TSA guy explained to me how a guitar string could be used to garrot another passenger. He was of course correct. All armed govt. backed paranoids are correct I spose.

On the other hand, the reason I only try flying with a gig bag is three fold:
    1. "It won't be safe at all underneath"
    2. It stows in every kind of plane easily in the overheads.
    3. Most importantly, I've come across 4 instances of people with severe to massive damage when they cased the guitar and had it checked. I don't fly that much at all, so that's a high damage rate in a small sample.

I don't know what pros do? If I had the clout, I'd buy another ticket for the axe next to my seat so I could carry a high class guitar.
    There may be a case so phenomenal that a guitar can survive, but my experience suggests that the belly of the plane and the handling involved is too often fatal and one of those instances looked like a fork lift blade went through the case and guitar.
    Sorry, I don't know what real musicians do. My guitar travels weren't music related.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    These have long been the most popular, affordable solution for a Gypsy flight case:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Ite ... case-black

Not bomb proof like a Calton or a Hofee, but a fraction of the cost and enough protection for most.

Thanks,

Michael
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    When I fly with my $400 cigano I take a $60 CNB hard/soft foam case and check it in under the plane.
    When I fly with my $4000 barault I take the $100 superior hard case and check it in under the plane.
    When I fly with my $10,000 barault I take a $15 gig bag.

A soft gig bag is smaller than a case and can usually fit on the overhead lockers on most planes. Nobody will try to convince you to check it in, because it's obvious your instrument would be damaged. Some airbus have a few bigger lockers towards the back of the plane and you try to board towards the front of the queue to make sure you get to those big lockers before they fill up.

I don't let the persons at the check in desk even see it, I check in my backpack and leave the guitar with a friend or in a locker. After I've got my boarding pass, I take my instrument straight to the gate. Walk confidently onto the plane, don't look nervous, and be prepared to lie and say "oh the lady at the check-in desk said to take it on the plane" if you get any questions (I haven't had to lie yet.. )

So far I haven't had any bad experiences - the guys at the check in desk are usually the badass ones that are mean about baggage limits and making sure your carry-on luggage is within size limits. They are trained to sting you, fine you, etc.. and you can argue with them till you're blue in the face it's their way or the highway. The guys at security don't care, that's not their job - they just are looking for dangerous or prohibited items. The guys at the gate are usually too busy getting everyone boarding and making sure the crowd doesn't get impatient and the airlines on-time performance is met. Cabin crew are usually nice and helpful, even clearing a bigger locker for me once - maybe I've been lucky.

Some airlines are very understanding about guitars and will quite happily let you take the instrument on the plane, or suggest for you to do so - I recommend Southwest Airlines and Lufthansa.

I want an AJL flight case...! These look like a strong and high quality case, but they fit the selmer style guitars like a glove, small and thin fitting so easier to fit into an overhead locker like a gig bag. Unfortunately I've been told you can only get them with a guitar.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I know of one person who bought a case from AJL. You should write directly to Ari and ask him, if you haven't done so already.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I have, he wrote "thanks for your interest. unfortunately I only sell them with my guitars."
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    OK, guess he's changed his mind. Too bad, they're great cases.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    Now, I think this AJL gentleman is missing a trick with these cases. I totally see his angle, selling his fabulous guitars with an exclusive bespoke case. However, that's an incredibly practical and elegant design, light and compact, and of course the old Selmer profile. If he were to launch a version for general sale I reckon he would sell dozens, for a handsome price. I would certainly have one. It would fill a real gap in the market. He could still keep one or two special features for his guitar customers.
    I don't know if he makes them himself, but I would find it far more likely that he has a case moulding company produce them. If so, increasing production would be fairly straightforward.
    Maybe we should form a pressure group. Or we could ask Michael to go and ask him nicely while we all stand behind supportively.
    They're not cheap - I think my friend bought his for $500- but if you look at other high end flight cases, they can run $800 or more.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    I would pounce on one at $500. How much is a Calton, Hoffee or Pegasus? Going on twice that. Great cases, probably stronger, but certainly more cumbersome. I have an old UK Calton that I only use for flying. The rest of the time I use a gigbag or a vintage archtop case. There's a real gap in the market for a classic, wieldy, robust and elegant case. And there it is... and I can't have one!!
  • a reminder to all when air travelling with a guitar to take some tension off the strings...I usually take it down to C F Bb Eb G C ish kinda thing...

Only trouble with using a check bag HD Case...picking up guitar from specialty pickup somewhere in Central USA, I arrived in time to see it come flying through the plastic curtain...missed the baggage rack and went sliding across the floor....strings were down and no damage ...except some major scuffs to the case.

Guess the baggage guy was having a bad day or hated guitars or both....
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed