DjangoBooks.com

Just to confirm... this is impossible, right? (NHOP)

Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
edited December 2013 in Bass Posts: 1,252
I just saw a vid on YouTube which appears to be Joe Pass & NHOP playing the Donna Lee in unison at about 150BPM.

I mean, he's playing the upright bass like a fingerstyle guitar.

Holy sh**

If you like this, listen to the Pass/NHOP version of Oleo - which you should find near this one on Youtube.
You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    joe pass' playing sounds like turkey gobbling.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • Ryan FlahertyRyan Flaherty New EnglandNew
    Sounds pretty awesome to me.
    Thats one virtuosic sounding turkey
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    wow
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    new link (original one broken)

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    joe pass is great, I'd struggle to grow a moustache like that, never mind play guitar the way he does...
  • Moving it along alright :shock:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    ......fudge me

Joltin' Joe
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Wait, he's not using proper rest-stroke technique...!

Adrian
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Actually, Joe Pass probably does play with the "correct" gypsy-jazz technique.

He has said that he alternates up-down picking except when changing to a new string, which he will play with a downstroke.

"At 14 years old, Pass joined a band called the Gentlemen of Rhythm that played music in the style of Gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt."
    https://sites.google.com/site/pittsburg ... a/joe-pass

Tom

adrian wrote:
    Wait, he's not using proper rest-stroke technique...!

Adrian
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I think Adrian was being faceitious :) The gypsy picking book has unfortunately been taken as dogma by many amateur players, rather than as a general guide for getting a strong gypsy sound like, say, Stochelo's.

Many top players like Adrien, Benoit, Olivier, Gonzalo, and I suspect even Django don't always use the technique as described in Horowitz book, and they still have a great sound. It is certainly not the "only" way and there are cases where alternate picking is clearly superior (e.g. try playing Gonzalogy intro with gypsy picking ... it's awkward and sounds weird!)

Joe pass started in a Django band but eventually ditched the pick altogether and played fingerstyle .. check out his Virtuoso albums, just solo guitar ... that's my favourite Joe pass stuff :)