DjangoBooks.com

Original Stimer, Dupont stimer, Pêche à la mouche... Pick up blind test !

Comments

• FredoFredo ✭✭ Cyril Gaffiero guitars
    flaco wrote: »
    Great experiment! Thanks for doing this. I'm excited to learn the identities. I agree with Buco that #4 sounds totally different than the others so it's probably the Kent Armstrong. One thing I noticed is over the Cm when you play up on the skinny E string numbers 1, 2, and 3 all get a lot quieter. This seems to happen worse to numbers 2 and 3 and less so to #1. That makes me wonder if #1 is the Peche, being a more modern design with potentially better string to string balance. On the lower strings I actually prefer the sound of #3 the best.

Absolutely, Flaco!
    Micro 1 is the "pêche à la mouche"
    Micro 2 and 3 are the Stimers, the numbre 2 is the Dupont Stimer and the number 3 is the original Stimer.
    Micro 4 is the Kent Armstrong.

I try to record with the Fender tube amp, but the both Stimer generate too much "parasites"(in french) sounds !!!

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Excellent, the one I liked best (no. 1) is the one I bought just a few weeks earlier :party:
    Interesting that the peche sounds more like the stimer original than the copy does. Actually the dupont stimer sounds kinda bad compared to the original, I thought it was supposed to be an improvement. [-(
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Ouch, I got it all wrong... Well I guess it means that (from those recordings) the Peche is a better copy of the original Stimer.
    - JG
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    Fredo thanks so much for this comparison. I second the desire to hear them through a tube amp. I'm guessing "parasites" means noise or hum - those are a necessary evil in single-coil vintage pickups. It's ok.
    wim
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited February 2014 Posts: 393
    It's true that the Pêche à la mouche and the old Stimer are similar. But I somehow liked the Dupont Stimer better. It seems to colour the guitar sound more. But I find it does so in quite an attractive way. (Now I only have to find out if one of those can fit my D-hole guitar...)
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Weird. Everyone likes the Peche a la mouche, which I thought sounded the most sterile. The Dupont Stimer sounded nice and wooly to me, and salvaged the situation of going through the AER well. The original had more glassy tops in addition to the mid range of the copy. Would be happy playing the Dupont through a transistor amp if necessary, but not the Peche...
    Joli Gadjo wrote: »
    Ouch, I got it all wrong... Well I guess it means that (from those recordings) the Peche is a better copy of the original Stimer.

Not all wrong, we got 50% right didn't we?

Fredo wrote: »
    I try to record with the Fender tube amp, but the both Stimer generate too much "parasites"(in french) sounds !!!

Parasites. That's golden, love it :laugh:

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited February 2014 Posts: 393
    Everyone likes the Peche a la mouche
    Not exactly...
    Joli Gadjo
  • FredoFredo ✭✭ Cyril Gaffiero guitars
    Buco wrote: »
    Fredo wrote: »

Parasites. That's golden, love it :laugh:

In French, the "noise" or "hum" product by the pick ups is call "bruits parasites".
    I'm in holidays for two weeks. I'll try to record another blind test with tube amp and playing with chords and double notes...
    I figured so. It actually makes perfect sense.
    Cool, looking forward to part II.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel