DjangoBooks.com

Need a humbucker for gipsy guitar

Hi,
I am looking for a jazzbox sound to have as an option on my gypsy guitar. Are there any humbucker pickups that would attach easily to the oval hole gypsy guitar? I'm looking for some Wes Montgomery type tones. It would be cool if i could get away without drilling or modifying my guitar permanently.

Thanks

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited March 2014 Posts: 936
    @pauliusmm

Krivo Django Bucker ***Limited Edition***

A humbucker made specifically for Gypsy jazz guitars! The only one avaible anywhere...works great with Argentine strings. Mounts with some finish friendly putty.

might check this one out….
    http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/krivo-django-bucker

I suggest you call Michael, I believe he has tried all the pickups in jig settings and will stear you right.

pick on
    pickitjohn :peace:
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    I have a Krivo. I think the Krivo is a great pickup, but not for what you want. I don't think this will get a Wes Montgomery tone unless you use a lot eq modification.
    HCQ
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Yup, looking at some demos, Krivo seems to try to capture more acoustic sound. I am looking for more electric sounding jazz humbucker.
    by the way does anyone have a DI recording of the Krivo Djangobucker? All the demos i've seen are recorded with a mic, so the mic captures the acoustic sound of the guitar too. I think this in a very misleading when trying to figure out how the PICKUP actually sounds.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    What about one of these ? It sounds pretty slim and so might fit but I have no idea how "Wes" it might sound and there's no option to balance individual strings.
    http://www.lacemusic.com/USA_Acoustic.php
    always learning
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    I am using a Lace Sensor Ultra Slim on my Dupont.
    It has a great sound, it is a humbucker so it has no "unwanted noise".
    It is very thin so it can fit on any Gypsy guitar no matter the neck angle..
    I have a Stimer, a deArmond, a Krivo, Bigtone, etc.... I like them all
    but my preference is the Lace Sensor.
    I use Krivo and othe guitarist in our band says I get very warm archtopy sound.

I'll try to record a few lines sometimes this week directly from the amp to a mic.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Hey guitarmike,

this lace sensor looks interesting. Do you have any records with it? There are only resonator clips on youtube, wonder how it sounds on gypsy guitar.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Bet the Lace ultra slim sounds good.
    The thing to watch for would be the string balance issue.
    I get the impression that its targeted to the dobro market which would tent to use phosphor bronze strings. So the string balance issue might have already have been dealt with .
    I'll dig around and see what I can find out about that.
    This is a result of Lace filling the spot vacated by the Barcus Berry ultra slim that went out of production. Its a very similar product and I'm glad to see that Lace has stepped into the void and made this available. Comes in
    handy. I'll bet that it can be used to great effect on GJ guitars.
    It will sound like a Humbucker though which as you guys know is not to everyones taste. Lots of single coil love out there.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Yes , according to the lace website they are intending to release a pickup for "acoustic" these are a dobro pickup. I sent them an email referencing the string balance issue and mentioned the GJ use of the copper wound on steel strings. We'll see what they have to say and I'll let you know .
    MichaelHorowitz