DjangoBooks.com

Galli silk and steel

JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
I could have written this in a review, but thought it could generate some discussion here. I've just switched to Galli green pack silk and steel strings (GSL10s) and they are amazing. After going through about a thousand packs of Argies over the last few years, I can't believe how hard wearing the Galli's are, how long the tone stays good, and how well they resist breaking.

I play a lot, and play hard, and used to go through a pack of Argies a week, plus at least one extra single D, one G, and one other random string, sometimes more. Now, though I still change strings every week, I rarely break them.

Also, they do sound "broken in" right away, like people say, so I don't have to play for a few hours before the harshness subsides.

Anyway, they've been great - a real revelation - and look like they'll save me quite a bit of money on extra strings.

The other ones (GSBs) were - for me at least - pretty bad by comparison, and barbed up and became horrible to play after 3 or 4 days.

Jon

Comments

• I tried em on my Dunn but didn't like the sound. They worked great on Michaels personal Mystery Pacific that I had on loan for a year.

They certaily make a good string and if the sound works for you on your guitar one less thing to worry about.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I tried a set of Silk & Steel a while ago, probably on an old Castelluccia and I thought they were really worth the price difference compared to usual sets. Last forever, doesn't break or wear out. I actually changed guitar before I got the chance to change the strings.
    - JG
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,730
    Try LaBella s&s too. Their extra light set starts with 10s on high but goes to 50 on low e. If you like tighter bass it's perfect. Plus with Argies (and Galli too) I used to replace the high e to 11 gauge, 10 just felt too slinky and sounded weak on higher frets. Not so with LB, it feels like 11 but it is 10, I checked with two different micrometers.
    GSLs are great strings though, I used them before.
    Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • shegashega Colorado✭✭✭
    I have been going through a silk & steel rennaissance myself. Like Jon, I play a lot, and I am a very aggressive player. My guitar is a Dupont, and I do a lot of bent note playing. Although I have used argies for 17 years on this guitar, my final impression of them is that they are harsh sounding and fragile. Most of my music is unaccompanied, and the harshness of argies (and the Bosset 11s I tried this summer) really stands out. This makes my guitar far less enjoyable to play.

Recently I ordered a set of Lenzer Silk and Steel 12s, and put them on with my guitar tuned down half a step to Eb—this was just a wild experiment to see what it would do to the tone of the guitar. I was careful with online string tension calculators to make sure the tension wouldn't be more than my guitar was used to.

The Lenzer 12s transformed everything about my guitar: every note, every chord came alive. The volume seemed louder, the feel was better, and I played for 3 or more hours nearly every day for six weeks on them without breaking the windings or losing the tone. Astonished, I ordered the non silk and steel version of the Lenzers to see what they would offer. They took at least a week before the tone calmed down, and then it was very similar to the silk and steel. They lasted, too.

Amazed and excited, I ordered a set of Lenzer s&s 11s to play at regular pitch. While I was waiting for them, I restrung with argie 11s to make sure I wasn't imagining the improvement. I wasn't. I was disappointed for the eight days I had them on. And, they fell apart in that time, unable to handle my vibrato or bending without disintegrating.

Restringing with the Lenzer s&s 11s, I found my tone after a day of break-in. I cannot stress enough how wonderful these strings are. I am considering purchasing a large order of them in all guages just to know that they are with me. They make such a difference in my tone: they give the "soft" dry tone that I have come to love, but are as loud as other strings. And they last longer than any strings I have used.

Before I plunge in with a large order, I think I will try the silk & steel sets from Galli, just to see how they compare. If you enjoy silk & steel, please give Lenzer Fisoma a try.
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    What do you like about the lower tension the Galli Silk&Steels have compared to Argentines?
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    bluetrain wrote: »
    What do you like about the lower tension the Galli Silk&Steels have compared to Argentines?
    I haven't noticed the lower tension to be honest. If anything, they feel like they are more up for a beating than the Argies, and the high E string never feels like it's giving up, which used to happen a lot.

• Now I am curious again. I think I will see if I have a set lying around to try. They are the green box if I recall correctly. ...
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    "If you enjoy silk & steel, please give Lenzer Fisoma a try." I like to experiment, so I tried them (11s). They sounded horrible on my Craig Bumgarner guitar for rhythm playing. It sounded like metal scraping against metal. I tried to break them in, but on the second day gave up. Went back to my Galli GSL 10 Light, and the immediate improvement couldn't have been more obvious. For other guitars and guitarists, these string might work, but not for me. No harm in trying though. I appreciate suggestions that could show a positive effect. I'd do the same.
  • millstb1millstb1
    I have a 10 year old Saga DG-250 petite bouch which is an amazing guitar. It is the loudest and best sounding of all the chinese boxes I've tried. ( I figure this was the one out of a thousand) I've been on Galli's SL-11's for years, they last longer, the G's don't break and they stay in tune. In the last 2 years I've upped the E and B high strings to .013 and .016; this gives me a brighter and louder treble tone and still does not seem hard to get good intonation... for my $.02, they are the best.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014 Posts: 349
    Which are the Galli's that Stochelo uses? Do they have loop ends? He gets a great tone.

Swang on,