DjangoBooks.com

Adrien Moignard's demos his rhythm approach on Minor Swing

bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 243
How is Adrien Moignard seemingly able to press down on the strings equally on each beat of a measure, do so lightly and gracefully, and still get the nice even muted, percussive chop on the 2 and 4, (and make it swing)? Try as I might, I can't duplicate it! I think I have it, then record myself, compare the two, and I'm way off because my 1-2-3-4 all sound the same (and no swing)! If you know how he's able to get this sound, please post here! Here's the link the Adrien Moignard's rhythm demonstration on "Minor Swing."
wim

Comments

• steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    I am struggling with the technique as well. I replayed and practiced, trying to reproduce the sound. IMHO, he plays the second beat slightly later than I expect. But, that's relative to my own interpretation. The 1 and 3 push me to go faster, and I realize that I must bring my metronome out again to adjust my internal time. It's now to too late, so I will try tomorrow. BTW, great video choice! It's a short and focussed lesson and a good example of the rhythm that I like.

~Steve
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    This "new school" style is deceptively simple. This is what I do: I download the Youtube audio into mp3 format and import that into garageband. Then, I record myself playing along on a separate track in an attempt to match the sound. Then I playback the recording muting the original and listening to my own performance, and compare and contrast. In turns out there's way more contrast. Argh! Help!!!
  • fabulousfabulous ✭✭
    Can anyone help me understand the chord substitution and the fingering he play.
    Thanks
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    his 2 and 4 are not muted by the way , unfortunately with the way the sound is mixed and the way the bass is covering the guitar, it does somewhat appear that way though.

• BonesBones Moderator
    Boheme, how do you download the Youtube to mp3 format?

Thanks
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Rhythm is harder than people typically think. For what it's worth, sometimes less is more. For me, if I'm not getting the tone that I want, sometimes it is a result of trying too hard and it helps if I back off a bit. Also, I think you are right to try to emulate people that you like their sound. Do you try to play along with the recording of Adrien rather than just recording yourself separately and comparing? Turn him up loud and try to make your sound match while playing along. I do the same a lot with GBQ and others that I like the rhythm sound of. That will also help your swing if you get to the point where you can groove along with them. Slow the recording down if necessary so you can keep up with the changes easily so that you are not struggling with gripping the chord shapes that way you can concentrate on technique and tone.
  • A practice routine that I used is playing 4 to a bar quarter notes eighth notes sixteen notes and finally stacatto notes. That requires slowly playing trough lifting ones left hand at the correct time

Counting one e and a ....two e and a....for eights say lifting left hand just as you start the and.

Do this every day for a few minutes a day. REAAAALLLY slowly. Using a metronome ...even better if it ac count the downbeats and the 16ths.

Once that is mastered mix em up 1/8 and a stacatto whatever swings for you. Play with really loose light touch, no tension. In time it comes. Its way more difficult to do really well and add in bass lines and chord changes .......than bashing off lead chops......WAAAAYYYYY more difficult IMO
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Bones wrote: »
    Boheme, how do you download the Youtube to mp3 format?

Thanks

Bones- flvto.com

Best clarity.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Bopster. I'll check that out.
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    Fabulous asks, "Can anyone help me understand the chord substitution and the fingering he plays?"

Nothing complicated. PM me and I'll send you what appears to be his fingering and chord progression. If you want to know how to download the video for studying purposes, download ClipGrab to your computer. Once you have the video on your computer, then you can use VLC (free download) to slow down the video to better see what's going on with the fingerings.

Dennis states, "his 2 and 4 are not muted by the way , unfortunately with the way the sound is mixed and the way the bass is covering the guitar, it does somewhat appear that way though."

If those 2s and 4s aren't muted, then they're not played out either. It sounds like a sweep of the strings without the pitches in a chord. If I could isolate the 2s and 4s on this recording, I would expect the 2s and 4s to have pretty much the same tonal color, absent of recognizable chords, no matter what chord was being played on. Maybe that's the effect of how it was recorded, but that's how Adrien's performances come across in other recordings as well. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to see Adrien perform live and up-close to get the true picture.

Bones asks, "Boheme, how do you download the Youtube to mp3 format?"

I use the following: http://www.listentoyoutube.com/. Even better, try downloading ClipGrab to download full videos to your computer.

Bones also asks, "Do you try to play along with the recording of Adrien rather than just recording yourself separately and comparing?"

I start with playing along to get the feel and mimic the movements. After I think I've got it, I use Garageband to record myself on a separate track playing along with the music. Then, I isolate my playing by panning myself hard right (or left) and also by cutting out the original music in the middle of the tune and listen for differences in my playing and that of the performer I'm trying to emulate. What has been frustrating is that I think I got the feel and playing correct as I'm playing along, even with the recording, but once I sit back and listen to myself (without the guitar in my hands) contrasting differences can be discouraging because of the noticable differences.

I finally went to Chicago to get a hands-on lesson from Adrian Holovaty, who has played with Adrien, knows the style, and is a very good teacher. He was able to see and hear things that I didn't detect in my own playing. That was very helpful. I then took a couple weeks off from playing in order to let the ground go fallow for awhile so the new seeds had fresh ground to grow from. I'm somewhere on the way to getting the sound to a place I can be comfortable with.