DjangoBooks.com

What's your favorite pick?

I'm looking for something new. I like rounded corners, something at least 2.0mm.

Lately I've been using Dunlop Jazztone 207. I really like it, great tone, great feel, but I wish it were a little thicker.

I have a Wegen M350, but I don't quite like the tone. I can't really get used to the thickness either.

I have some BlueChip picks that I use for Bluegrass, but for feel and tone they just don't transfer well to GJ...for my ears anyway.

Any and all suggestions welcome. If a thicker pick will help me achieve the warm tone I'm going for, then I'll definitely try it.

I really wish Dunlop made thicker picks with the Tortex material.

Comments

• MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    I've got some of the usual suspects, Bluechip TPR 60 and SR 60. A few assorted Wegens, lots of Dunlop tortex and ultex. My favorite all-around pick these days is the Papa's faux tortoise picks. Sometimes you can find them in three thicknesses. I like them on guitar, mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 1,252
    http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/big_city_2_2

This one is the "mama-bear". Not too thick, not too thin, not too pointy, not too round, it's juuuust right.

I like the 1.8mm version too, but the 2.2mm is perhaps a better all-arounder and a bit darker.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • alberto250579alberto250579 pordenone italy✭✭✭
    the best not self made picks i ever found are the djangojazz
    (i make my own picks...it is the only way to have your perfect personal pick, if you know your rigth hand, but jokko make real good piks with real nice material).
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    +1 on the Big City Bob mentioned...Stochelo uses one, a 1.8.
    I like Dunlop Gators myself...
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    At the moment I use one of those http://www.djangobooks.com/Category/selmer-picks but when I lose it, will go back to the dunlop gators :)
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    My favorite pick material is the Dugan's made out of bone. Unfortunately, they loose their tip really fast.
    You may want that, however, since you say you want a rounder edge.
    just a thought . I don't know if they sound warmer though.
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/john-pearse-fast-turtle-extra-large

This is a nice one, not too pointy and a great thumb grip. Not quite 4mm as advertised by JP, but equally suited to playing rhythm and lead. Pretty warm and full sounding, and the next best thing to tortoise shell.
    Vladimir Muzic picks are described to have exceptionally warm sound. I think it's best to call Michael directly and asking him, he's very good at listening and giving good recommendation.

Following @pickitjohn tip I ordered these
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/380909322686?nav=SEARCH
    and I'm very happy with them. I didn't think so at first but they may need some bevel work. Otherwise they are very consistently made, beautiful looking, quite and warm sounding but you can find sound variations on different tips. And I don't worry about losing them. As a matter of fact I give them away.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    I'm a GJ rhythm player and also use the Big City 2.2. The Big City brings out a crunchy GJ sound and the cleanest downstroke that has ever come from me because each string seems to ring out at perfectly equal intervals. So the downstrokes sound tight, even, and never sloppy. My only complaint, and it's kind of a big one, is that while it stays firmly in place on downstrokes, like no other pick I've used, I have trouble keeping it in place on upstrokes because it seems to want to jump out. Thus, I'm forced to hold the pick with a lot of tension when playing the upstrokes, or I just avoid upstrokes when I can get away with it. Has anyone else had this trouble? Anyone have a solution?
  • Craig DenneyCraig Denney Columbus, Ohio✭✭ 2011 Zwinakis
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll look into them all shortly

bohemewarbler- have you ever tried rotating your wrist "in" slightly (pronating)? Almost dragging the pick "up" in the form of an upstroke. I've also found that having a lighter grip allows the pick to move a little more freely, so when you're doing an upstroke it's not putting stress on your wrist or hand because you're letting the pick do what it should in relation to how loose you're holding it.