DjangoBooks.com

Interview with Sébastien Giniaux

DjangoBooksDjangoBooks Seattle✭✭✭ All of them!
edited November 2014 in Welcome Posts: 446
imageInterview with Sébastien Giniaux

By Michel Mercier © 2014 Michel Mercier One of the most outstanding and original players to have appeared in the gypsy jazz scene, Sébastien Giniaux has a truly eclectic, versatile training and career. The “Selmer 607” album revealed him to a broader audience, but his musical journey...

Read the full story here

fabulous

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Many thanks to Michel Mercier for this wonderful interview!
    That was fantastic, almost like a master class!
    MichaelHorowitz
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Great interview -- thanks for doing it.
  • Matt MitchellMatt Mitchell ✭✭✭
    great stuff - but I'm confused about the 'Django isn't jazz manouche' part...?
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I love this guy, he's such a clever artist. Thanks for this interesting interview.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    great stuff - but I'm confused about the 'Django isn't jazz manouche' part...?

gypsy jazz did not exist in django s time, he inadvertely gave birth to a folk music that emerged after his death, due to the fact that he was a gypsy and all manouche gypsies wanted to copy his success..

he was a jazz musician.. he was more than that actually... the gipsy jazz that came later is much different than what django was doing. nonetheless there are exceptions of course... i like django and i like the sincerity and rawness of gipsy jazz, seb talks about that in his interview (playing w gypsies)

MichaelHorowitzBucoMatt MitchellBlueSkies
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi Michel,

Thanks for sharing this very interesting interview here.

And please, don't give up the wonderful work you are performing at the Guitare Jazz Manouche site (even if this work does not always receive the recognition it diserves and if it is sometimes difficult to raise the level). ;>))

Best

François RAVEZ
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Thanks, it's great indeed that Sébastien shared all this points of view and experience with us.

Thank you Denis for the explanations (that was exactly the idea) and thank you François for the support! ;)
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I support you too Mitch (I'm a little bit sad that this interview between two french guys is in a better place on the english forum than on the french forum...). Anyway, thanks again for this interview, you really asked almost all the questions that I wondered about this original artist.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 1,252
    PapsPier wrote: »
    I support you too Mitch (I'm a little bit sad that this interview between two french guys is in a better place on the english forum than on the french forum...). Anyway, thanks again for this interview, you really asked almost all the questions that I wondered about this original artist.

Seb's a good guy and has a great (dry and clever) sense of humor and is a phenomenal musician. It doesn't surprise me that he's made as many friends and fans abroad as he has at home.

Don't be sad - this reverse-proximity-effect thing is pretty normal. My brother plays Trad jazz, and years ago he toured Europe. I asked him how the tour went and he said: "It was wonderful. Here in the states, when we tour, we play clubs and eat sandwiches. In Europe, we played concert halls and ate steak."

:-)

Thanks Mitch!! Fantastic of you to do this.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.