DjangoBooks.com

I wanna sell my problematic DG-250M, is it worth anything? (see description)

ssabbaghssabbagh Denver, Colorado
I have a DG-250M that has been a pain in my ass. I would like to get rid of it. I believe it just needs an owner who can set it up and take good care of it.

I bought this guitar in April 2013. I like how it played when I received it. However, the action got super high about a month after I got it. I went to my guitar tech, and he adjusted it back down. He said that the change was due to climate. I purchased a couple guitar humidifiers and a humidity gauge.
I carefully monitored and regulated the humidity in the case several months, and everything went smoothly. Then one very dry day, the humidity in the case plummeted, and I found the action was way low, so I went back to my tech and he added some wood to lift the bridge.
Anyhow, after spending a lot of money have my guitar set up twice, I got sick of dealing with it.

I want to sell the guitar "as is" now. It still looks almost perfect, with no visible damage whatsoever. Also, I had the frets leveled recently. Do you think anyone with a knack for set up and maintenance would be interested in this item? How much should I ask for?

Thanks for any advice!!

TL; DR: Got a DG-250M (with hard case) that needs a full set up including bridge modification, and is very sensitive to humidity. In all other aspects, I believe it is in great condition. What can I sell it for?
Tagged:

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @ssabbagh

Where are you located so someone could check out your Guitar.
    It would be hard to say a value without getting to see it. If you were close by I would check it out for sure... I do like the maple Gitanes

Good Luck finding a new home
  • ssabbaghssabbagh Denver, Colorado
    @pickitjohn

Thanks for the reply! I'm in Denver, Colorado. I see you're in Texas; unfortunately, I don't plan on being in your area any time soon :(
  • tmaccaferriantmaccaferrian ✭✭
    Speaking as your neighbor down in Colorado Springs, I predict you will find that whatever gypsy jazz guitar you have will have these types of problems in Colorado. I have several Selmer style guitars and I have had varying degrees of humidity related issues with all of them. Older guitars and guitars build with older wood will have fewer problems than many of the Asian built guitars, but unfortunately our climate is not a friend to these instruments. I'll ask around down here if there is anyone in the market for a guitar.
  • Gene RaweGene Rawe ✭✭ Olivier Marin
    I live in Calgary, Alberta-a similar dry winter climate. My solution in winter is I have a programable humidifier for my instrument room; it's set to a particular humidity and runs as necessary. (I add water as required). The in case humidifiers are largely ineffective in a cold dry winter climate. I try to maintain a RH of 45, get an accurate humidity guage and you can start to see if this is really your problem. Some people will often have a number of different bridges for their guitar depending on season or travel. Don't give up on my he guitar quite yet!
    @tmaccaferrian : I'm relieved to hear this isn't just a problem with my Gitane. Thanks for the input, and for asking around!

@Gene Rawe : Yea, I've heard Calgary is very similar to Colorado in climate. My gauge is pretty accurate, and I was able to find that my guitar goes out of whack when it gets below ~20% humidity in the case. You're right, the case humidifiers are totally ineffective when it gets really dry.

I never thought to get a spare bridge, that's an excellent idea! Thanks for the info!

@stuart : Thanks for the advice and reassurance! I was definitely planning on asking for less, but I think I'll have the guitar set up and ask for 80%+ instead now.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Main problem would be changes in Humidity stay around 45% and you'll be fine. They are selling new for around $700.00 to $750.00 last used Gitane DG-250M on ebay went for $400.00, someone asking $500.00 had no bids.
    Be careful how much you have to spend on set up you may do better selling without the set up for a lower price.
    once again Good Luck
    @pickitjohn : Excellent. Thanks for the info!
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    I got bot the 250M and the 250 which I both got used with a case for $ 500 and $ 400. Both required some minor setups: truss rod, raising the bridge (with just meant putting some thin picks underneath it) and they're not perfect but I think they're great guitars which I use constantly.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    "Then one very dry day, the humidity in the case plummeted, and I found the action was way low, so I went back to my tech and he added some wood to lift the bridge." That is soooo wrong.
    @DragonPL : Cool! Thanks for the info!

@frater : Wrong how? Please enlighten me!